1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTS 1200 ABS problem - could be worth checking

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Derek, Apr 20, 2013.

1. A couple of weeks ago the ABS light didn't go out as it should on my MTS and the ABS disabled / DTC off warning came up on the dash. A couple of key off/ons would clear it but the next day it came back. Once again I could clear it and it was fine for the next week or so then it happened again. Since the speedo was unaffected I figured it was the front sensor that had a break in the wire. I picked up another sensor off eBay (incidentally the Monsters use the same sensor) and spent an hour or so fitting it. I was disappointed to find that the problem remained and in fact had got worse with the light remaining on even after several key off/ons.
    I decided to have another go at it. It turned out to be break in the loom. There is a short tail from the steering head down to the bottom yoke where it plugs into the front sensor. There was a cable tie securing it to the sensor plug which was itself anchored to the top yoke. One of the wires was broken at the cable tie about 40mm from the plug. I soldered it together, sleeved it with heatshrink and wrapped the loom with self-amalgamating tape then re-routed the cable. Hopefully it will stay sorted now although thinking about it I should probably extend the harness so that I can anchor the end of it securely to the bottom yoke so that there is no flex at the back of the connector. That can wait for another day :wink:

Here is a pic from the manual with the original installation which had broken at the cable tie.
    MTS1200_ABS_10_7_6.44.1.28.jpg

And this is a picture of how I refitted it with the connector the other way round.
    ABS%u00252520Sensor%2520100.jpg

If you have a Multi 1200 with ABS it might be a good idea to check that there is no strain on that cable at full lock.

MTS1200_ABS_10_7_6.44.1.28.jpg

ABS%u00252520Sensor%2520100.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Good information :upyeah:

3. Derek is a wizard :)

4. And it seems like he uses orange juice as coolant :eek: :biggrin:

5. Yes, which concerns me a little. The bike had it's coolant recall just before I bought and my local dealer confirms it as having been done according to Ducati's service records. However, Agip Permanent is pink not fluorescent green/yellow. The dealer says they probably used an equivalent. Hmm.

6. Sounds very much like the fault on mine which the dealer said was "a known fault". They fixed it but I'm not sure how. I assumed they replaced the loom.
    You did well, it took 2 dealers to sort it!

7. Thank you very much for this topic! I have the same problem now. Gonna try this fix today.

8. Thanks for this useful post. After owning my Multi for ten years this fault has cropped up in the last year. I’ve carried out your repair and my bike is back to its wonderful self During the time I’ve owned this bike I’ve also had 2 Triumph Explorers and a new Africa Twin. All of them fantastic bikes but all gone whilst this bike stays. I’m about to pick up a new V2s Multi but as with the others, the 1200 is staying until I’m convinced.
    4B748D56-240A-4D30-ABA5-A9CCC87A7780.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pinned the post so it's easy to find for future references

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Whether they used the Agip, or an equivalent Derek, it should be pink. I use Motul and that’s pink. the yellow, as far as I know, would remain on a 2 year service life. The pink is 4 years. Might be time to drain, flush and fill it up with the good stuff.

11. Cheers Derek ....

12. I’m currently in the Picos, had the traction control come on & off for no apparent reason (constant throttle, not loose ground) then DTC off….. I’m guessing I need to hunt the break when I get home!

13. 10 year old post, but still relevant in 2023. :) My MY11 currently has this exact problem while I'm on a 3 day trip. Will have a look when I'll be back home...

• Like Like x 1
  14. When I replaced my coolant following a water pump replacement, the coolant that had been ‘replaced’ at the last dealer service was a purple colour. The Agip I put in was pink. I don’t use that dealer any more.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information