1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 620: Good first big bike?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Richard H, May 6, 2012.

1. Hi my 18 year old lad is looking to buy his first big bike after taking his test on. 125. Am after any advice on the pros and cons of owning a 620.We have looked at the taller type bikes like G650GS, the 650 Verseys, V strom 650 as the lad is 6ft+
    He likes the more upright riding position, needs to use it all year round and does not want to spend any more than £3500
    Is the engine the same as in the Small Monster? And can it easily be restricted to the 33BHP that the government tells him he must have:rolleyes:.

Thanks

Richard

2. Arr well not many 620 owners on here yet

3. Hi Richard
    I recon its a very good choice and it will be easy to do his own maintenance as for the restricting thing you will need to search for some one local and qualified obviously
    not heard of it being done before but should be a fairly simple case of washer in the exhaust to restrict the flow and then a dyno run to prove it.

Hope the insurance isn't too steep

keep us posted
    Andy

4. FI International do have a listing for the 620. I believe there's also a kit available from Ducati, as they supplied some 33bhp 620 models from the factory.

However, certainly when the kits first came out twins seem to be hit harder by restriction than fours - the garage who did mine actually took them back out again as they strangled the engine so much it was almost incapable of keeping up with traffic. This was a decade ago and I know the Transalp is no road rocket, but from the looks of the website not much has changed.

#4 Doodle, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  5. A very creditable alternative would be an SV650, perhaps a bit more practical for a first bike with servicing dead easy and parts very easily sourced - great bike and I know of a couple of lads at least that have had great fun with them as first bikes (in fact I know plenty of guys having fun on them full stop). A restrictor kit is available.

6. Thanks for the help, spoke to the guys at JHP today (who suplied my bike) and they say as restrictor kit is available for this bike; it's just a throttle stop and takes less than an hour to fit. Insurance for 18 year old newly qualified £700.00 TPFT Its about £90.00 cheaper for a Suzuki V strom. Think the lad likes the idea of riding something different from his mates, we will keep looking and see what comes along at a decent price.

7. Richard, It's worth just looking to see what fully comp Insurance would be as quite often there is little or no difference as the risk with particulary young drivers/riders is the potential damage to Third Parties & or their property.

8. In some cases fully comp is even cheaper! It mystifies me, but then again all insurance companies leave me dazed and confused for a variety of reasons.

I think the 620 sounds like a cracking first bike. Better than a dopey AR125 anyway! Coo, kids these days. They don't know how good they've got it!

9. Yep seems perfect to me

10. Well the deal is done, found a 2005 Black Multistada 620 with only 2400 miles on. Service history and looks almost like new. Will post some photos when we pick it up, fingers crossed it will prove to be a great first bike for the lad and he can buy it for what he can get for his KTM Duke 125

11. Your boy is a lucky lad!............2400 miles in 7 years! :eek:

12. check the mot as the clocks did break often and get changed ? but sounds good deal

13. Got the previous MOTs, looks like it sat at a dealers for 3 years!

14. Make sure they put some new belts on it ....its an easy job to do at home but they would probably find an excuse not to honour the warranty you might get

• Like Like x 1
  15. P1060180.jpg

Picked the machine up all looks good so far. Lad looks happy anyway! Asked my local dealer JHP Coventry to sort a restictor kit and check it over, they say they will need to put it on their dyno to check it makes no more than the 33BHP.......... Most folks take their Ducati's to JHP to make them go faster :rolleyes: Didn't realise these things were so rare; Combined stats (2 models) DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 - How Many Left? just 99 in the UK

P1060180.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information