1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Multistrada Errors: Engine

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Kenneth, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Hi guys, started up the MS today to get a set of tyres fitted. At the start is sounded wierd, popping like fueling was wrong. Then it started up up the trottle response is shite. Very slugish and then kicks in at higher revs. I have read a few treads about it being a mapping issue.
    Anyone have similar issues?
    Also key battery warning light also has just turned on.

Due in for service next week but wonder if its ok to keep driving.

Thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Mine did the same a while ago .... would vary depending on which mode I had selected. Dealers did an ECU update and a change of plugs and was resolved completely.

The battery key went on mine while on a trip to Scotland, bought replacement from local Argos and changed in a minute or so...piece of piss to do

excuse the fact he is an a septic and takes 3 times as long to tell you rather than just doing it :)

3. I would first and foremost check that the exhaust valve has not seized. That tends to be the main culprit for poor running.
    The battery warning is just a red herring and probably nothing to do with the poor running. It will probably just need a new CR 2032 battery or maybe you've had it too close to your mobile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cheers Bigyin, thanks for that. Ill do the key myself and ducati are taking the bike in tomorrow. Hopefully like you its nothing serious.

5. Cheers, had the exhaust off today fitting the tyres and the servo valve is ok.
    Off to ducati in the morning. Read somewhere about map sensors and bigyin has given some detail too.

6. Front Map sensor faulty. Ducati have one ordered and should be in next week. Disconnected the sensor and runs perfectly.
    Cheers for the help

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hi Kenneth,
    Did the Error warning disappear when the sensor was disconnected ?
    Just got the same error message on mine, and trying to diagnose the fault without a trip to the dealer. No symptoms, bike running fine.

8. No the error stayed on the display when the sensor was disconnected but the fueling was way better. They did clear the error with the sensor still connected but the bike was unrideable. Dangerous to be honest.
    Once map sensor was replaced and error cleared all was good.

Hope that helps.
    Kenneth

9. Was there any info on the dash? I had a similar experience but I also had a "Pressure" warning coming up, not just the light.

10. New tyres means the exhaust has been off. Check the valve is both still connected and working freely

11. Valve seems to work, cycles OK on ignition on, feels free.

No other warning just ....[​IMG]
    Took bike out for longer run, error and warning lamp go off after a short time, then re-appear on engine restart.
    Phoned Newcastle dealer today, cant fit me in till next wed just to look at the error code !

Bike still feels fine ...anyone any ideas ?

Tempted to buy a MAP sensor and try on both cylinders to see if it clears as seems to be the common fault.

12. Same error as mine

13. I am inclined to believe that if it was the MAP sensor it would say "PRESSURE" and you wouldn't have any problems as long as the error showed up (it would take the reading of the other sensor and work fine). My problems started when the MAP sensor was malfunctioning WITHOUT showing on the dash. It's not a very cheap part (49 euros. Not very expensive either but would you give 49 euros just to check? )

14. Took to DMC at Preston today, great service, quickly diagnosed front MAP sensor! New one on order.

15. Glad it was resolved so quickly. No idea however, why the same sensor gives two different errors...

16. Front MAP sensor fitted, ten minute job. Fault cleared and all looking good !

• Like Like x 1
  17. Holy Thread Resurrection Batman .....bumped for future searches in case the similar fault light comes up for others

2013 1200S Grantourismo 24500 miles

First time in ownership i have the "ENGINE" warning on the display and the management light on (had the DSS 3 times)....... Looks like the above dash picture but imo feels a little rougher but still pulls well, runs well but maybe a little rich on the over run and going down through the gears fast gives a couple of pops and bangs from the pipe which i havent had before. Run for my daily commute this week so 250 ish miles before i could get it in to be diagnosed

I doubt its air sensor as still reads the air temp fine so i am guessing a Map sensor ....plug in at Ducati Norwich tomorrow morning to see

18. Had the same warning on my 13 gt, turned out to be a faulty TPS .

19. And the winner is ..........front MAP sensor which is now on order at 59 quid plus VAT plus fitting ..... joy

20. Just to make things interesting while riding home tonight the "Engine Error" light went out .....cue bike running like a heap of shit, wont pull, eventually cuts out completely as i pull into the side of the road. Start up again and idles at 3000 for a few seconds then drops and wont pull away no matter what revs are put in accompanied by irregular pops and bangs

I eventually recycle the ignition a few times to get the "Error Engine"warning light back on again and it runs smoothly ....wtf!!!

Waiting on replacement MAP sensor so will need a call to the dealer assuming i make it to work at all depending on how it runs tomorrow

Do Not Sell My Personal Information