1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Italian Vibrator Problems, And Why It's Uncomfortable.

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by SurreyST3Owner, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Thanks for that, its appreciated. I just put some decent super unleaded Esso petrol in it, changed oil to the correct Shell Helix fully synthetic and it seems to have cured the problem. I was hoping it may have been a quick easy fix, and it seems to have been!

The oil that came out was a green colour, and can guess it was Motul, although its viscosity didn't seem watery if you know what I mean. It may not have been compatible with the bike? That would have been done by the previous owner.

2. The oil would almost certainly have been Mogul 15w50 300v Factoryline fully synth. It most certainly would not be the good cause of the problem as like many others in this forum have used it for years with no issues. Louigi Moto use it as a matter if course and put it in their own race bikes. Without wishing to start up yet another oil debate, the general consensus in Ducati circles is that you should really use 15w50 of whatever brand. The thin stuff just isn't man enough for the stresses and it also sticks to the top end components for longer if the bike Is left standing for more than a few days. This is important as the lubrication circuit to the rear cylinder in most of these engines is a bit tortuous and it can take quite a while for it to fill and lubricate at full efficiency when started. The thicker oil will have more chance of sticking to the components like the rockers and cams and provide essential lubrication at this vulnerable time.

I would suggest that something else is the route cause, don't see how oil would cause that sort of rough running anyway?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I also used Premium quality Petrol to see what difference that had?

Yeah, it's always an interesting debate about oil, and I omitted to put the correct oil that I used when replying in haste. Apologies. I in fact used Shell Advance Ultra 4T 10w-40 (Fully Synthetic), and I had put out a thread on here asking other riders which oil they recommended for my bike, and this one by Shell was the most popular, so I wonder why we all have such varying opinions as to what oil is best, although its based on our own experiences is a fair bet :)

15w-50 didn't come up once when I had asked other riders on here what was best for my ST3, so now I wonder if I should use this viscosity next?

On to the next oil debate...... :grinning:

4. Check the fuel filter has been replaced too. I ride 80 miles each day on my commute with at least 20 mins filtering in traffic and tried to make a note of how I deal with low speed riding in town on my ST3. Follow the advice already listed about being in the right gear. I also slip the clutch a little when required. Glancing at the RPM I seldom let it go below 3000.

5. Thanks for the fuel filter tip. I also seldom let it go below 3,000rpm, but when it does... :fearful:

6. ... I know where you are coming from, especially with your bike history. I had a 748, and an ST2 before the ST3. Trickier going from a 4cyl bike.

7. I always fancied a 748 or 916 years ago, although I'm 6ft 3ins tall and don't fit them, and being such an old fart now, my aching shoulders and back can't take the prone position anymore.

Happily I can report that I've been there with other similar set-ups to a 748/916 but not quite so small - if you know what I mean :grinning:

8. Ah the 748. Tiny little bike, very narrow. I'm 5'8 and have ridden racing push bikes since the age of 15, so the 748 was so comfy for me I even had a few trips out on it. Super bike - very stable - exuded Italian confidence! It was a far better bike than I am a rider... old age and being sensible saw me move on to the ST's. Bumped into Troy Bayliss once - when he was WSB champ - he was tiny, just like a jockey.

9. Which oil for my engine?
    Those idiots at Motul obviously don't know any more about what's a decent oil for a Ducati than those idiots at Ducati.
    Don't they know that a racing oil is better for a road bike than road-bike oil???

Clearly idiots, all of them...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Does that mean decent quality road bike oil, such as the Shell Oil I've used, should be avoided in the future?

11. Irony...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information