1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Take On 996/1098 Mongrel Build!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Hi guys, thought i'd post up some details and insight into my winter project.
    But first a little bit of the bikes history. I Bought the 996 new back in 1998 when Ducati first announced the 916 was being updated with the introduction of the 996cc lump. Since then i have used it in all weather conditions all year round and done many many track miles split between the uk Belgium and Germany. Many years ago i put sps cams in and it has been faultless over the 18 years of ownership. Obviously she has had minor updates and refreshes along the way.
    Now, back in september i was doing one of many trackdays at Spa Francorchamp.
    July 2016 spa 996 131.JPG

Towards the end of the day i was running quick into Eau Rouge when all of a sudden there was a significant change in engine note and an ammount of vibration. So clutch in and get the bike to a marshall post. Recovered to the paddock and i was resighned to having to open the engine up over the winter to investigate, hasten to add that within 2 days i had the engine appart and discovered that the left side main bearing had failed. The outer race had effectively split into two halfs. Never have i seen this before but prior to the failure the motor was running sweet and strong.
    Stuff of iphone nov 16 001.JPG
    So for a laugh i decided to go on line and price up the cost of refreshing all that needed doing while the engine is apart with new Ducati sourced parts (yes i know i could get 2nd hand parts or a complete motor, but this was just an exercise). The bottom line i got to without replacing all the other gearbox bearings and a new crankshaft was a mind boggling £7500. Anyway scoured the web for 2nd hand parts and or a used motor complete and then thought why not look to go the route of many before me and put a newer motor in.
    So onto the forums and look for an engine. Then i come up with the thread started by Chizel that he was having to sell his 1098 engine that he had bought with the view to to a conversion at some point. Made contact with him and arranged to there and then buy the motor. Not totally happy about kicking a man while he is down and taking his future project but he needed the money and i needed the engine. Hope the busted foot is doing ok Chizel?

Stuff of iphone nov 16 059.JPG

Living mainly in Germany i arranged to collect the engine when i was next in the uk and bring it back to Germany and get started on the project.
    To date the motor is in and i am now looking to get everything sorted and in place to make a start on the airbox and exhaust system. I have got a 1098 exhaust system that will be cut and shut where needed to do the job. Fortunately i live and work at the nurburgring and have some helpfull friends in good places, so my friendly Ohlins technician is chomping to get busy with his TIG welder on the pipework. So sure he will make a better job than i would with my history of pigeon sh1t welding.
    Hopefully i can post pics to this thread and along the way i may ask for some advice or parts that i still need. If anyone can help with either as i go it would be appreciated.

Stuff of iphone nov 16 060.JPG Stuff of iphone nov 16 061.JPG Stuff of iphone nov 16 065.JPG Stuff of iphone nov 16 069.JPG

• Like Like x 20
  2. Great use of @chizel 's engine there :upyeah: I'm sure he'll be pleased it's coming together so well!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luv it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Thanks guys. Only did a small bit of de-lugging the pipework today. My mate is waiting for a new pedal for his tig to arrive then hopefully get the exhaust sorted.
    Also need to get some resin for the airbox, which will be a mix of glass and carbon fibre mat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good to see Roy. Looking forward to updates

6. Got busy cutting and shutting the various pieces of pipework i have for the exhaust. All now tack welded waiting to be tig'd. Just need to get some stainless wire for the springs and get the tig'd in place at the same tine. image.jpg Also laid up some glass for the airbox base.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. I have no idea what you're doing but I'm very impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. :Dgreat stuff mate! Supremely jealous but glad it's gone to a good home.
    top work so far , keep the pics and updates coming. Maybe one day I'll get over to see what could have been! ( and maybe a ride)
    god I hope it fires up and gives you years of trouble free use! My name will be mud!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I hope it fires up aswell. It has gone to a good home and you'd be welcome to a go if ever you come out here.

10. cheers mate! Did the loom come in handy?

11. Work on the airbox is progessing slowly. I've never done much work with glass fibre let alone carbon fibre. Blimey it's a messy job, and how much of a struggle it is with carbon. Must be a better way but sort of pleased how it's progressing, fortunately it's no show bike. image.jpg A sneek peek of in progress.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Not yet as havn't really got stuck into the wiring yet, bearing in mind it'll be running the 996 loom and ecu, it may end up in the spares box.

13. what you doing for mapping?

14. Wow, that motor looks amazing in there. No wonder Chizel's jealous - I think we all are...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I wish some clever fellow would mold and produce an airbox.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I have a chip from Hypersport Tom in Sweden, also there is a good dyno place that has been recomended out gere if final stuff needs dialling in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. There was Lameshafts one stateside, but he dissapeared i think. Anyway where would the fun be in just buying one. LOL

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. yea or ebay it and recoup a couple of quid. What was the process with the air box? Make a glass mold first then lay the carbon in it?
    played around with fiberglass a bit and your right, it messy as fvk!

19. yeah -shame that.

20. Had an old cf box off 996, but new base is sort of hybrid of the cf and gf.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information