1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Take On 996/1098 Mongrel Build!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doogalman, Nov 13, 2016.

1. On a 1098 motor? Bit light on power? Most 160+ aren't they? If that's due to exhaust restriction I'd be looking at having bigger one done :)

2. 160 claimed at crank I believe. With exhausts bigger isn't always better. Well know Ducati tuner once told me that the only 848/1098 that benefited from the bigger exhaust was the R, summat to do with engine pulses.
    My view (for what it's worth) is that this motors have to leave the factory now with all manner of flaps, cats and re-circulation gubbins, that any pipe work with out all that crap is going to be better.

3. maybe I'm mixing up with 1198, but would be very surprised if when mapped (even PCv), decent air filter and decay they would make only the same as a 2010 multistrada... :)

4. Multi and Diavel a powerful bikes mate.

5. A 2010 Multistrada will give 251bhp at the rear wheel?
    Edit: 151 bhp

#65 Old rider, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  6. Multi is quite down on power to the sports bike, doesn't rev as high and think there may be valve differences (but don't quite me ;) ) Diavel, however, is a full on fire breathing sports motor

7. 151bhp yes. Not sure about 251 ;)

8. Valve overlap is different to the sorts bikes. Both MTS and Diavel use same motor. I'd Like to get hold of new monster R engine for project....That would work well in sports bike IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 251, are these the Italian horses that Bimota used to employ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi Doogleman, im also a straggler from the DSC, ( im still proud that my old gallery is doing so well on the stats) i'm Germany based as well, and in a similar case my 996s motor destroyed itself at Assen in September..
    I am watching this thread intently as I am considering doing the similar change If the motor repair is going to be too costly..

11. Sorry, typo :/

• Like Like x 1
  12. That's very impressive.
    The KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, which is actually 1301cc was very recently dyno'd by Bike at 157.7 bhp and they clearly regard it as being super quick...

13. Most who take their older Multi to CJS (and some others) have had the c150 mark recorded. Custom map mind you. Although my 848 made 139 on that dyno too ;)

I had a quick google and a lot of std 1098 seem to come out 150-160 so maybe I was thinking about 1198 :) Either way a nice improvement over a 996 ;)

14. ive just had my 1198 mapped and got 171 bhp out of it standard engine with full 70mm termi system and dp ecu and filter.

#74 cookster, Dec 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I think the Dman is going to like it! :Nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. How do they do that then? Its measured at the wheel. :)

BTW Mikes std 1198 with 70mm system and decent air filter on a custom map gave over 170 and 93lbft RW

17. I thought it was measured at the crank with magic sensors or something, must have been 171 at the wheel then. Still happy days.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I was running the 16 ecu. I dont thing the P8 would work due to the twin crank pick ups.

Before dyno set up, it was a little ruff and way to rich. That was with a chip mapped by Tom from Ducati MS. Toms chip was a good starting point my bike needed smoothing out do to my own exhaust set up, filters etc.

19. 160 at the crank is about right for a 1098 mate.As we all know, a 1098r is an 1198 innit.

Lots of folk gob off about big power figures and big exhausts but its pub talk.
    If you muck about with valve timing and engine prep, with Dyno time may get you up to 155/158 bhp at the wheel buts that gonna cost a fair bit for an exta few bhp. Engine may have a better mid range or top end depending what you want from it though. So will feel very different.

I think the 1198s is approx 170bhp at the crank. So about 160ish at the back wheel. And we all know different dyno tuners give out slightly different figures to please their customers from time to time.

Lets face it, a well set up/Dyno tuned 1098 at 150 at the rear wheel is gonna feel/ride much better that a badly set up 1198 on the throttle.

Ive got a full Termi 70mm system with race ecu on my 1098s with race filter but have yet to get it fully tweaked with a bit of dyno time. I would be surprised if it gave much more than 150 ish hp at the wheel but it sure does feel aggressive/angry on the throttle.

Will see in the spring.

#79 Dee Cee, Dec 11, 2016
Do Not Sell My Personal Information