1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Mystery: Fully Charged Battery And Yet No Life From The Start Switch At All!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by TonyMNo1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. :Arghh: Well I'm totally perplexed here, the bike is on constant Optimate 4 charger and appears to be as the header says, up to spec' and yet when I press the start switch down to fire-up the bike, it's absolutely lifeless. Nothing showing anywhere on the bike at all :Banghead: It was fine when I put it away just on Christmas eve and has stood idle since then, so confused is the word.......:Dead:

I've taken the start switch apart, which is as fiddly as hell and all seemed dry & OK, but I've yet to put the switch back together again, something I'll try tomorrow morning, having had to mess around with one of the tiny contacts + springs to get it to retain, so I'll see what happens.

Any suggestions or constructive thoughts??o_O

2. Fuses?

Have you checked the voltage on the battery? Probably not a flat battery anyway if it wasn't that long ago you used the bike. And you would expect someting on the instrument panel even with a flat battery.

Probably not the start switch if every thing else is dead.

She could just be telling you that going out in this weather is not a good idea, and that you should wait till at least March.

3. Fuses or porr battery connection? Side stand down? In gear?

4. Could be a bad cell in the battery, I had the same on my son's honda, it showed full charge on the optimate so I put a multimeter across the terminals and as soon as we pressed the starter the battery fell to 3.4 v. Anything bellow 9v indicates a duff battery.
    Steve

PS Just re-read the post, with my scenario I would have thought the dash would light up at least.

#4 Birdie, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. It would still show some life on the instruments if thsi was the case.

6. Put a halogen bulb across the battery to be sure it's capable of pulling some amps out .
    If battery definitely good , take both terminals off battery and cross them together for 20 seconds or so .
    This pulls all capacitors down and all ecms will refresh and reboot when terminals re connected

7. Nothing at all? No lights or anything on the dash?

Dead battery in key or key not close enough? Does it work if you use the bypass button?

8. :upyeah: Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful as ever on this forum, a number of which I had thought about, but will review nonetheless, just to be sure.
    I've replaced the key battery, even though this was reading fine before, I've re-fitted the spring and contact on the starter switch and will attempt to re-build/re-fit fit that tomorrow morning. I'll check the battery connections, fuses, bypass button, etc. likewise and then see what happens thereafter.

Bradders, no not a thing on the dash, lights, or whatever and I had the key mounted in the fuel filler cap, which almost always works even when the key battery is really low :Nailbiting:

Surely one of the suggestions will work, so I'll follow-up tomorrow and advise what the outcome is.

Really appreciate the interest and advice from one and all.:Watching:

9. Matey have you tried the bypass?

10. Bradders, no but I'm going to try this in the morning, once I've re-checked the battery for full charge, checked fuses, the hands-free relay, etc. etc.

11. He can't get out his garage never mind the bypass. :)

12. Try the bypass button like as already been suggested
    Also try placing your key near the bottom of the screen against the fairing, and try the start switch, this is near to were the key pick up coil is, it is always possible the new keys battery's could be at fault..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If the bypass works, I reckon either duff battery in fob or a sensor has gone.

14. I had this. My starter switch was fubar'd.

15. key not close to bike (I have done that before) I have had a replacement starter switch, and a month later the new one is sticking in all ready :(

16. There's life after short term death, it would seem.......:upyeah:
    I've re-built the switch having cleaned the contacts and re-fitted the tiny sprung contact on the starter button section, fitted a new battery to the key and hey presto, one or both of these fixes has resurrected the bike. :Happy:
    I've also sorted the other 'cardinal-sin' I committed, I've cleaned the bike from top to bottom after I put it back in the garage having ridden 230 miles round trip in awful weather on Christmas Eve.....without at the very least power washing the bike down :Facepalm:

I know, coulda, shoulda, woulda.....plonker:Eggonface:

Thanks for all the advice and interest shown with my plight, as ever this forum delivers on many fronts :Cigar:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Glad to hear you fixed it.

18. Today I went out to the garage, operated the red slide switch ... quel horreur ... nothing, totally dead. Took off the seat, put a multimeter across the battery ... 12.6 volts, pretty healthy. Placed the red passive key up behind the instrument panel ... everything woke up as per normal, and engine started on the button.

So I went indoors, took the active key apart, fitted a new 3 volt battery (CR2032); luckily I had a spare in the drawer. Back to the garage, and everything now starts and works perfectly. Took all of 5 minutes to sort. Stroke of luck it wasn't something more serious.

#18 Pete1950, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. I know it's sorted now but, did it start ok before you replaced the fob battery?? Reason being, they are easy to fit the wrong way around. Result is nothing. Must've recovered 3 or 4 bikes that were "non starters" because of this.....

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. I checked that it would start on the red key before I changed the battery in the black fob, thus establishing that was the problem. There was no difficulty getting the fob battery the right way round - I have done it before.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information