1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Neutral Not Showing

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Kingfixer, Mar 24, 2017.

1. the bike has started doing this recently, when I go out for a ride and while the bike is still cold..ish when I put the bike in neutral everything is normal. But after I've been riding for a while when I put it in neutral it still shows 1st gear, so when I put the side stand down it cuts outs even though it's in neutral. Anyone know what would cause this ?

2. Neutral light doesn't come on?

Isn't there a neutral switch near the front sprocket somewhere?

3. For instance if I was to get on it in the morning it would be fine , neutral showing, but by the time I get back it always shows 1st gear even when it's in neutral.
    Then it will be back to normal next time I use it, and so on. Done it for about the last six or seven rides.

4. So the green light doesn't come on for neutral?

5. At first it does like normal, but after a while no. But then back to normal next day and repeat.
    If it stopped working altogether then it may be easier to resolve, but the fact it's ok again the next day ?

6. Hi Kingfixer

The neutral switch is located at the rear of the Right engine case,
    just below the rear main engine mounting bolt.

I modified a socket to enable removal, your welcome to borrow it.
    I live in Hanham.

Deaks

7. @ deaks , bloody hell just down the road I'm in long well green, I'm going away for a few days so It will have to wait till I get back. Can the neutral switch just be replaced.

8. Why do you need a special socket?

9. Because it has a long wire with a connector on the end. The hex head sits quite deep in the cases.
    I had to grind a deep slot in a socket to allow for the wire.

10. Spooky eh, we live less than a mile away from each other and both own a 999 and a Multistrada!!!
    The switch just threads into the engine case and connects into the loom.
    Give me a shout when you get back if you like.

Deaks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. looks like I need a new one then !! that one on ebay doesn't fit mine according to his list of applicable bikes.

12. The ebay one is just a switch. The MTS uses a gear sensor, possibly a variable resistor or a series of stepped resistances, that it uses to determine which gear the bike is in.

13. Mine went on the DVT, luckily the dealer did it under warranty. Eventually it go to the point where I had to sit on the bike, side stand up and clutch in to be able to even start it.

(Now that reminds me need to ring the dealer to sort out the DAir fault light staying on, which I don't even use)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information