1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821 Neutral

Discussion in 'Monster' started by JUN, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

Just picked up a 821 monster, but seem to be finding it hard to get it to neutral, is there something I can do to fix this myself

2. Yes. Take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. If its the same as my Hyperstrada 821 with the cable operated clutch, then it just wants the cable adjusting. Take a out a little slack and all will be fine. I have to adjust mine slightly on a regular basis as the cable stretches with use.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hi Jun, John again, I just picked up on this, I haven't had a problem finding neutral, my problem was hitting a lot of false neutrals when riding. I rectified it by adjusting the gear shift and applying a little more force when shifting up. Perhaps try adjusting the gear shift and see if that helps.

#4 John Mac821, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. I have the false neutral problem as well and it's no fun when it happens. Forceful shifting with purpose seems to work 99% of the time.

6. False neutrals are often helped by chain adjustment.
    Trouble finding neutral is caused by clutch drag. If it's a cable system, that should be a matter of adjusting the cable.

7. It happens with mine because I have an after market adjustable clutch lever, and when on anything but the highest setting it's hard to get it in neutral. If you knock it into neutral before the bike comes to a stop it'll go in much easier.

8. That would suggest clutch drag...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mine has aftermarket levers fitted too. It's all about the cable adjustment. Check the free play at the lever is in spec. And fine adjust from there. Been doing this on my hyperstrada for four years now. It's the same engine and clutch.
    The clutch drags as the cable stretches

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. I struggle to find neutral on my new M1200, easiest way is to turn the engine off then, then it's selectable very easily. Will call the dealer about it though and they can take a look when it goes back for it's 600 mile service.

11. If you select neutral before you stop, you won't need to switch the engine off.
    Your problem is clutch drag.
    If it's a cable clutch, adjust it according to the manual

Do Not Sell My Personal Information