1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 New 1098r Owner Briefing

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash34, Mar 29, 2017.

1. So I've bought a 1098R without too much research other than it has the 1198 engine and so should be a fair bit quicker around tracks than my 996SPS.

What do I need to know and what should I be wary of with this bike?

It's solely to be used as a race bike. I will race it in this year's Hungarian 1000 Open championship so it has none of the road going parts of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. Did you buy the track bike off of Ebay? :)

3. Congrats. :upyeah:

4. First thing you need to know is that the stock 8 level traction control unit that fits under the rear of the seat unit can only be enabled with the ecu that comes with a race system, most commonly the Termignoni 70mm system paired with slash cut end cans. There is a special tc unit mounting bracket for after market body work/rear sub frame that keeps the unit in the correct orientation. If you have after market body work you should also check that you have the small DDA wiring loom if you intend using the information collected by the system. The 1098R gearbox has a reputation for being fragile when used in conjunction with a quick shifter. @Robarano has a Nemesis gear cluster and traction control unit in his 1098R which is an option. If you want to run 320mm race discs you will need to cobble together a bracket for the front wheel sensor which in 330mm standard form, has spacers welded to it. If there is no evidence of it being done, a full fork and rear shock service is advisable and if you can find one, the rear shock remote pre load unit avoids a lot of faffing around. A quick action throttle if not already fitted is a definite must. The M4 calipers are very good but some have changed to the later M50s but that also means a different master cylinder ratio. Hope this helps, Andy[/QUOTE]

#4 Android853sp, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. No but it has been on eBay recently and was removed. I also saw it on eBay late last year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It does have 70mm Termis and the matching ECU and DTC is fully enabled.

There's no quickshifter so thanks for that tip. If I want to have a quickshifter I'll have to get a better gearbox.

The standard front discs on an R are what diameter? I'm not sure what it has fitted but I think they will be the OEM ones.

It has an Ohlins TTX shock, which I've not any experience of before. Is preload adjustment going to be fiddly?

I've gotten used to the 4 pad Brembos I have on the 996 (with carbon pads) but I assume the M4 are a big step up?

7. The standard front discs on an R are what diameter? I'm not sure what it has fitted but I think they will be the OEM ones.

330mm with a 15mm offset. Changing to 320mm reduces the rotating mass which makes it easier to turn in, not that there is a problem with turn in from standard. It's a big boy race set up thing.

It has an Ohlins TTX shock, which I've not any experience of before. Is preload adjustment going to be fiddly?

The OE TTX pre load adjustment uses 2 locking castellated rings. Ohlins do an pre load adjuster that replaces the 2 locking rings with gizmo that provides a rotation square drive which is fuss free. If you are unlikely to change the pre load once set, don't bother.

I've gotten used to the 4 pad Brembos I have on the 996 (with carbon pads) but I assume the M4 are a big step up?

I have the 4 pad (748R) set up with Brembo SCs on my 853 track bike which I have always loved. The M4 caliper uses 2 pads with 4 equal sized pistons which with the same SC compound pads is a great stopper that is maybe a fraction smoother than the 4 pad. The Brembo race pad SR compound takes a little time to heat up but under race conditions I don't think that will be a problem if you are used to carbon pads.

Hope this helps, Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. This is all great info. Thanks gents.

9. I have a HM QS on mine and the gearbox is currently fine...

10. And long may that be the case :upyeah:. Out of curiosity, in how much anger have you used the qs ? Andy

11. Here's your problem, you need a '[' before '/QUOTE'

So I've bought a 1098R without too much research other than it has the 1198 engine and so should be a fair bit quicker around tracks than my 996SPS. What do I need to know and what should I be wary of with this bike? It's solely to be used as a race bike. I will race it in this year's Hungarian 1000 Open championship so it has none of the road going parts of course./QUOTE]

#11 Robarano, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. You mean before the slash Rob. [emoji1303]

13. Aye, so I do. :D Edited :Bag: :Eggonface: :Shamefullyembarrased:

14. 4 Trackdays at Inters pace plus general use on the road. Not shifting at the redline.
    No general evidence that it's doing any real harm I.e. No nasty graunchy noises or sticking / part shifting.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information