1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 797 Anybody?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by richgilb, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Some years ago you could get a 796 with a single-side swingarm, 167kg dry weight and 87bhp.

New for 2017, Ducati will be delighted to offer us a 797 with no single-side swingarm, 175kg and 75bhp.

Doesn't seem very appealing, does it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The price of progress innit?:D

3. I know, get a 796 for 4 and a half grand or this new piece of shit for 10. Well, 8 probably.

4. The weird thing is, the 696 seemed to do the job fine! I think the new 797 has to be really talked about as a replacement for the 696 and not compared to the older 796 tbh due to the restrictions with Euro 4 etc.

That said, to me it's just awkward looking, it has a weird SS style frame design and the exhaust looks wrong, I just don't like it... I am sure many will enjoy it though and luckily the 821 appears to still be in the range? That is my choice

5. Denied! The 796 was the replacement for the 696. They're not allowed another one.

6. Have to agree with you here Phil, I'm looking at the 797 as the replacement of the 696 and think that's the fairest comparison for it. I'm sure there will be another single sided swing arm variant arrive following this :)

When looking for Mrs M's monster, she discounted both the 696 and 821 due to neither having a single sided swing arm. Needles to say, she ended up putting a deposit down on a lovely 796 from Moto Italia :)

7. Passed my full licence last November, been riding a geared 125 for the last 4 years and currently considering making the jump to a mid weight bike. The Ducati Monster 797 seems like a winner for me. Not too powerful and fairly simple (less maintenance cost?).

Should I perhaps get the 821 instead? is it worth the extra couple of grands? Would the 821 cost a lot more to maintain?

All thoughts welcome :)

8. Not sure if you've read through the above posts in detail but would be worth considering the thoughts offered in the this thread.

You could pick up a cracking 796 Monster for £4.5-5.5k and save yourself several ££££'s in initial outlay, someone else having taken the hit on 'new bike depreciation' and having done the tedious running in miles for you... If your lucky, you may be able to pick one up with some nice end cans and other upgrades on it too, if not though you'll have several £££'s left in the bank to source some nice bits and put your personal touches to it anyway ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks Ben. I have just read the thread you posted. Really interesting stuff. However, I am more keen on getting a new bike that's mainly due to my little experience with bikes (I would easily get fooled).

So for me the question is 797 or 821?

10. I'm glad you made this thread to share your opinions because I certainly care a lot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. @Juan Martin Maybe buy an 821, stick it in Urban mode (75BHP) until you get familiar/bored of the low power and then stick it in touring mode with smooth power delivery of 112BHP and once used to that stick it in sport mode and watch the red shift :)

Its a bit tongue in cheek but the power to weight ratio on the 797 looks poor to me, but then again the 821 is water cooled so maintenance costs may be higher. TBH the 821 is only quick when you wring its neck, if you are gentle on the throttle its a really nice bike to ride, I had mine for 10 months but found it lacked grunt, not speed but torque, the 1200R is making up for that. Grab a second hand 821 from a dealer cheaper :)

#12 MarkF, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. 1200 a proper monster

13. Hi Juan, her'e's my 2 pence worth, I'd been off bikes for 10 years, prior to that I'd been reading sports bikes and riding all year round, I've recently returned to two wheels and choose the 821 Stripe in doing do and I'm delighted with my choice. As mentioned the three riding modes give you the option to adjust the power to how you want it, yes the Urban mode reduces the power to 75bhp, which will help you get a good feel for the bike, but you can also adjust the other two modes Sport & Touring down to 75bhp also, if you want. Why would you doe this? I can already hear many riders screaming out, well as this is your first big bike it will allow you to control the power delivery in all three modes as well as experiencing the the different ABS and DTC settings so when you're ready to adjust them all to full power, you'll already have a feel for how the bike behaves with the different ABS & DTC settings. As for speed, the 821 gives you more than enough on todays roads. As for maintenance costs, I doubt it it'll be much more than the 797, but check with your dealer. Hope this helps.

14. Thanks Mark and Johnny. You both got me thinking now.
    I was more keen towards the 797 due to the fact that it's a perfect entry level bike due to its not so powerful heart (75bhp), therefore, less chances to kill myself in the first corner However, you both raised a good point, which is ride it for a while on urban mode and then release its full power once I feel confident with it. And thinking long term, am pretty sure the 821 will keep me entertained for a long time. The 1200 is a bit too intimidating for me at the moment. So, I'll have a chat with my local dealer and if the maintenance costs (including fuel efficiency) are not too high in comparison to the 797 - will definitely give it a good thought.

In the mean time, any proud 821 owners here care to share their thoughts on the 821. What they like about it and what they don't.

Thanks

15. Thanks Johnny, great review!

16. I have a 796 and I'm interested in seeing the difference between the two.I bet the new 797 is smoother at the lower rpm's but I bet the 796 is spunkier.I think Ducati may have put less aggressive cams in the new 797 to help at slower speeds,I think that's why the horsepower difference too.I may have to take one for a test.

#20 Tim Baccus, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information