1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member 1199 ,hi To All. Rear Shock Bolt Broke!?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chops, Aug 6, 2016.

1. IMG_20160516_193401416.jpg IMG_20160516_201241064.jpg Hi,I'm in LEEDS. New member
    Got myself an 1199 2013 MY in February 2016
    Story is, a few weeks ago, rear shock front bolt broke! Managed to pull up OK.
    Rear Footrests saved me from biinning the bike as left side landed on swingarm supporting rear end just above rear tyre! FB_IMG_1470288963370.jpg View attachment 73933
    Any one else had or heard of similar problem?
    Ducati are thinking it's been over torqued by previous owner!?Nonsense I say.I reckon the bolt cannot take the impact without an additional bracket,
    Sato Racing make a support bracket that Duke should consider retro fitting under recall.
    I am a BMW MOTORRAD TECHNICIAN btw.This isn't something BMW would have taken lightly.
    Any help getting this raised to a possible Recall/ High Priority Inspection status would be appreciated.
    Regards Ian.

IMG_20160516_201229166_HDR.jpg

#1 Chops, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Where did you buy it from Dave? And welcome btw :)

3. Hi,It's Chops (Ian) btw.
    Shorrocks Preston,used bike dealer.

4. Never seen/heard of this issue yet to be honest and it was common I'm sure a recall would have happened by now.

5. That's KAK IF you consider what might have happened :Writing: see what I did there - I think the bolt needs analysing. It bolts into Alloy does it? I'd be surprised if over torqueing caused it if so.
    Welcome anyhoo from down the road in York :)

#6 Exige, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2016
  6. Who's Ian, Dave?

7. The support bracket looks like a good idea, two things that surprise me is that A) they seem to be the only people making them, B) they are gold and £100!

It must be a pretty rare occurrence you would hope else loads of people would be making braces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Yes but I think I'm going to have to buy one don't want it snapping again.
    If Duke want a Dales Pani tester I'm up for it.
    The roads to Alston from Hawes are no racetracetrack mind.
    Hope everybody's stays intact, just bear in mind if you've got passenger and gear on if that's possible ( not that I did btw)
    If you look it's a right load on a single threaded bolt bracket!
    See you on roads pals.:smiley:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Do you still have the bolt?
    Was there evidence of it bending?
    Did it fail just above the end Of the thread?
    Any pictures of the offending item?

10. Yes see attached photo,sheared level with bracket.
    Instant drop of suspension, **0mph too!

IMG_20160801_165808156.jpg

11. Ooh that's bad.
    Surprised that the bolt is still straight and not bent where it goes into the bracket.
    Looks like it may be a fatigue failure rather than single overload as there appears to be a smooth section and then a grainy bit where it finally let go.
    I would definitely have words with Ducati about that. Send the pics to Italy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes they've got them.I've emailed them a link to the Sato bracket it should have had at manufacture/ design.
    The bolt was £1.98 btw ! Quality.

13. I'm having exactly the same problem, 2013 63 plate 1199, was riding last weds night, suspension just dropped, front shock bolt snapped, looks like this could be a problem on all!! Mines just gone back to dealer today, I await there call

14. Are both of these bikes 2013 bikes?

15. Yeah would seem.so, both 2013

16. Hmm, interesting, doesn't need a lot more 2013 bikes for it to happen before the assumption would start pointing towards a bad batch of metal for bolts or time fatigue

17. Here's mine, collapsed. When riding, luckily in a straight line!!!

IMG_20160902_200818.jpg

IMG_20160902_200413.jpg

20160831_181600.jpg

18. :Nailbiting: Scarey stuff!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Welcome, low rider option is not a good look.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information