1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member 1199 ,hi To All. Rear Shock Bolt Broke!?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chops, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Yup, if you can mail me the tech drawing I'll get cracking on getting some made then :thumbsup:

2. My sincere condolences concerning the fatality.
    Being some one who was involved in failure analysis I find this thread and some of its contents alarming.
    Firstly there can be many causes for the failure of a mechanical assembly. I would urge any one thinking of producing what may appear to be a 'fix' to seriously think again. You do not have the loadings on the joint and without stress analysis data and subsequent testing you cannot be in a position to know that any part you make is safe. You will be liable should there be any issue.
    I was also concerned about the results of the investigation into the failed bolts. I would have liked to have seen more detail. The manufacturer should have been made to provide the loadings on the joint, particularly shear forces and results of calculations on the bolted joint to show it was safe. There wasnt any mention of what the required specifications of the bolt were and what the failed bolt actually was. Also for a dealer to just decide it was over torqued without any metallurgical analysis or factual data to back this up is remiss.

The DVLA and Ducati need to investigate this issue and come to an engineering and fact based conclusion as to the cause of the failures. Only then can a definite fix be produced. You can't fix some thing that you don't know the root cause of. Buying a new random bolt is highly dangerous, bolts have many uses and consequently many features depending on the bolted joint. Without knowing the type and magnitude of the forces seen by the bolt you cannot in all seriousness go buy a random bolt.

Best you guys can do in the meantime is buy a new specific bolt from Ducati and assemble it to the correct torque. Or don't ride your bike until youre happy a cause has been identified and a fix found and verified.

#102 steeve, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. Who, your mum??

• Like Like x 1
  4. Excellent Steve. I'll be doing exactly what you've recommended. No matter what my Vin number is.

5. just get one of them stupid number plates that go in front of the hugger, if the bolt snaps, the number plate will hold up the seat unit!

6. I wandered lonely as a crowd.

#107 Flatfish, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

7. sounds like the bolt needs checking which grade it is highly stressed bolts should be grade 5 up to grade 8 the strongest also used of cranes and the like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. That is a poor design from the outset imho, for what it would cost to support the bolt on both sides it should have been done from the outset.

I honestly can't name another bike with a single sided shock support?, I would buy that Sito bracket as peace of mind if nothing else.

As others have said, condolences to the family of the man sadly lost in the accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hi just wandering if you had any joy with ducati I had same thing happen yesterday on an island. Lucky boy to be honest. Bike is 1199 63 plate only done 4900 miles. Can not believe this has not been put out there on web more prominently.

20180505_153726.jpg

20180505_173013.jpg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Nasty, glad you’re ok Phil, where abouts in staffs? I’m in Loggerheads

11. Are you both at Loggerheads?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Cannock

• Like Like x 1
  13. Unbelievable that this is still happening, ducati should have been forced to solve this problem on every single bike, people have died because of this, I really don't get it that they don't solve this, makes me very angry! @Tim Maccabee

14. It needs putting out there so people can make an Informed choice if it puts dought in their frameless technology and hurts sales then they will do something. This will not be swept under the carpet. I will do a video for YouTube and warn people of dangers. It is dangerous enough out there anyway without your bike trying to kill you. May expect problems with cheap Chinese bike not a so called premium product.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Glad you are OK Phil.

Reading back this thread -whilst its not necessarially definitive- it seems there a very serious problem that is not being addressed.
    Surely it is reasonable to expect something official from Ducati by now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. You are right, I find it disgraceful, and they should be hold to account for it by whatever means possible

18. Guys just trying to get some advice will phone a solicitor on Tuesday but going to piss me off all weekend unless get it off my chest. As I took delivery of the bike on 5th December 6 months ago and have done about 300 miles since surely the dealer must have some ownership of this issue as bike is no longer fit for purpose. Any thaughts

19. Your contract is with the dealer. So you should take up the issue (however you see fit)with them. They should then take it up with Ducati.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information