1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R New Monster 1200s Vs 1200r

Discussion in 'Monster' started by 1200r, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Hi All,

With ducati announcing the new monster 1200S having everything but the kitchen sink, I was justing wondering how those who bought a 1200R feel about this??
    I have raised the issue with ducati customer service to no avail. They simply dont care and are blind to the fact that this might upset a few who decided to splash for a new 1200R only for a 1200s to come behind it a grand cheaper and with everything ducati toy list attached??

2. Just read the previous post - that has lots of 'feedback' Lol

3. Perfectly happy with my R, had it about six weeks now.

Product life cycles and upgrades are much shorter now so it's inevitable that new versions come along and raise the spec, just look at iPhones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. iPhones don't cost 15k that being said its a great bike.
    I still think ducati will annoy a few owners but that's life! All being well they offer the upgrades as accessories for the existing range!

5. The R is on the Ducati stand at the NEC, does that mean it's still available for 2017. It's still a better spec than the new S.

6. I attempted to purchase an R a few months ago but couldnt get any Duc dealers to offer anything for my trade in (even though one of them sold it to me new, and had serviced it regularly !) and now I'm fairly happy I didnt get that bite as the new S is seems to address a fair number of the issues the previous model had that made me look at the R rather than the old S .

7. Yeah still not happy with them for doing an update so quickly but Ive now spoke to my local ducati dealer, with any luck he may be able to get some of the goodies list to work on my r!

8. I bought a new R this summer. I'm not sure why I would be upset about the new S; that bike doesn't make mine suddenly worse. My only niggle with the R is the lack of a quickshifter, had one on my Tuono.

The new S will be superseded next year and its successor the year after. Such is the way of all things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'm stumped as to why people are so upset about it - new models get introduced every year, we all know that. We all know that the bike we buy today will become obsolete or improved upon, that's called progress! Sure, I'd love all the new features of the new S, but my 2016 S is still an AMAZING bike that I'm absolutely delighted with. What's the issue?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have no issue with updates just with the rate with models are superceded, in this case a year with a model that is also cheaper.
    But thats my opinion, am not saying that its a bad bike, only that the top of the range should be that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The R will remain the 'top Monster' for 2017, better forks, wheels, power, ...

The only bike that I've owned that was never surpassed by a later model was the 1098 Streetfighter - Ducati stopped making supernakeds entirely!

The new 1200S is a worthy upgrade and I'm sure it'll sell well. I quite like the grey paint too.

12. Having now seen the 1200R and the 1200S side by side at the NEC I can confirm that the R is a significantly higher spec bike, The components are generally of a higher specification ie front forks, wheels, the stunning front mudguard etc and it is clear that the R is the more track focussed machine. Quickshifter aside I for one am happy that the additional money I spent on my 1200R provides value for money in a Ducati world .......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I've seen the new 1200s and it is nice but as previously stated, not an R in the sense of its components or looks. As far as the quick shifted and blip box, you'll never notice it when your cruising around at 80 in sixth down an A road.

14. If concerned about the differences between the Monster S & R, then you're worrying for no reason. Ducati are notorious for doing these upgrades and they'll never change. Ducati as a small Co. Compared to some of the bigger Jap Manufacturers needs to evolve quicker and be adaptable to change. When I think back to a 2008 1098R, by the time the Panigale came out the 1198SP was of a similar spec except the R's engine was quite superior at the time. Look at the 996R's, when they introduced the 998S they both used the same engine but had different internals. The Monster R's shortfalls are the QS/ Autoblipper but you can buy these easily nowadays. While the S & R will share components, the new S has some of the original 1993 Monster parts such as the tank latch for example and its narrower too. Almost new R's are at a good price right now and I'm tempted. My quandary is do I sell my modified S2R 1000, which are becoming rare nowadays.

15. I am sending you a pm ref your S2R

16. Have tossed this around in my head for a while but have decided to get an R .Think it looks fabulous and a guy I know who only really likes the classic old bikes rode a test bike and bought one immediately.The looks for me are fantastic

• Like Like x 2
  17. Keep the S2R, one of the prettier monsters and add a 1200R to it, they are epic....

18. I`ve not ridden any of the new water cooled monsters so I`m not offering an opinion on what they are like to own or ride but the cheapest secondhand 1200s are now at very similar prices to secondhand 821s now. I even saw a 1200 at Ducati Manchester for just under £6k last week. I wonder why they are dropping so much more than the 821s ? At this rate both are going to be cheaper than the old 1100 models soon. I never buy new as I hate depreciation but a 1200 for below £6k seems a lot of bike for the money and cracking value.

19. IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0831.JPG I too was at DM last Saturday lunchtime and intrigued / interested on the Monster R. Waiting for a test ride. Its booked at some point in the next 10 days

@Monsterped. I haven't made my mind up tbh. Its either a change upto the 1200R and sell the S2R, or keep the S2R and find a Multi 1200S. Like i say until I've tested the 1200R, I will be in 2 minds.

The S2R has had quite a few mods done to it, here is a couple of photo's hopefully. The only change is the Wheels will be Red, White has been a bugger to clean. :)

#20 samieb, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information