1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No headlight, indicators or dashboard lights and a BATT 5.2 warning

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 848cc, May 17, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone may have experienced the same with the below issue and be able to point me in the right direction as both myself and my 848 are in bits over this. :mad:

I have an 08MY 848 which has had the product recall done to protect the regulator from excessive heat. However, I am experiencing issues with her where, unpredicatbly during the course of my ride, I'll get a BATT 5.2 warning and lose my headlight, indicators and the dashboard warning lights (but not the dashboard read outs themsleves). The engine still runs fine, but if I immediately turn the bike off and on again it will sometimes struggle to start up. If i keep riding, the problem may sometimes resolve itself, with the lights, indicators flicking back on depending on how long I am out for, but in the majority of cases the issue returns further down the road.

Interestingly, if I am sitting at lights after being in heavy traffic and blip the throttle slightly, I'll experience the issue. It also tends to happen more predictably when the engine is warm or has been idling for a time - could it be a loose wire suffering from the vibrations of the engine, or heat related? Could it be a battery problem? I am not sure - and neither are the garages I've taken the bike to.

The bike starts every time with no problem from cold even though it doesnt get used daily.

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread and thanks for any comments or views that you may have.

2. Do you keep it on charge in your garage ? if so it probably will start ok but could still be a battery/charging problem.

If not on charge youve no battery or starter circuit problems and i`ed suspect the garage that did the recall work has not done a very good job

of putting your bike back together eg, bad wire routing or loose connecters.

3. Thanks sprocket. It's not kept on charge in the garage and I get all the right voltage readouts (from previous threads) at pre ignition and when the bike is running. It definitely feels like a loose connection somewhere, particularly around the gear selector...it often happens when I go from neutral to first when the bike clunks into gear. Bike is just back from the garage and they say they've checked the wiring and re done the connections. It seems to have made a difference as in the issue didn't happen as much but was still experienced when changing gear. Is there any connection around the gear select? Am I knocking something with my size 10s? Could it be decayed wiring? Thanks again

4. The side stand cut out switch is down there.....

But that should just kill the engine, I can't imagine it would cause issues with the lights, dash and error codes etc., even if it did have a bad connection.....but you never know with Italian wiring.....

5. generalising here as I don't even know where your fuse box is on 848, but I remember a seperate fused circuit on a 916/748 controlling a similar group of items. Important bit is that it's more likely to be light corrosion on the fuseholder contacts (if similar) or block connectors/wire on route at fault more than fuse itself, as it's failing intermittently.

6. Is it since you had the recall done? Or shortly after?
    If so I would get the dealer that done the repair to have a look just in case they it's something they done.

7. Many thanks for the responses all. The prod recall was done prior to my ownership and I've had the issue sine getting her. The fuse box has been taken out and re greased...according to the garage. Another garage said there was decayed wiring. Do you think I could check myself or should keep on going back to the garage. As its an intermittent fault, usual response from the garage is that they can't fix something they can't see happening. I've had a look around for wiring diagrams and fuse box information but couldn't see anything. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. Is this just a by product of Ducati ownership? Thanks again

8. Well maybe it is historically related to Ducati ownership :frown: but on the newer models electrical faults are a lot less common as a rule :upyeah:. I know this doesn't help you and your issue knowing this.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information