1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norfolk Police Release Helmet Cam Footage Of Rtc That Killed The Rider

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mattmccabebrown, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Norfolk Constabulary: Hard hitting bike video launched

I picked this up off Facebook and have only linked to the press release not the actual video. Personally I cant bring myself to watch the footage, probably as I was involved in a very similar accident and I still get anxious about it.

The main story is he was going way to fast, hit a car head on and died of his injuries. What's different is he filmed his own death on his helmet cam. This footage has been integrated into a ride safe campaign by Norfolk police.

So you may ask why am I posting this? Well, I want to get ahead of the curve and ask people not to post the video as a direct link. Some of you will have already watched it via another link, some may not have. You can read the story without seeing the clip, but what I want to try and avoid is anybody seeing something they really don't want to see.

Thanks
    Matt

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Shit don't watch it - or do, it will slow you down!

3. I saw the one of the crash on the A30 near Sparkford in 2009 , someone I knew. Once is enough

4. Its just been shown on the local news, quite shocking.

5. I'm a firm believer that when its your time to go then its your time and if that means whilst your out on your bike, skydiving, having a dump.. the list goes on, then so be it. Lets face it 5 second earlier or later and that would never have happened.
    Id rather exit quickly than suffer some long nasty cancerous death. Which ever way you go its only tough for the one left behind

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. no one want to see any one pay the ultimate price...let alone the clear chaos left for those behind. I have seen this first hand on too many occasions....my thoughts are with the immediate family!
    But the video has been released, and to learn from this...... Its clear there is no loss of speed after the over take on the car as they pass the big sign saying junction.(read WATCH OUT DECISION MAKING PLACE!) Yes the car shouldn't of turned but look at the speed of the bike on the approach to the hazard.

Its about demonstrating restraint at a complex hazard like this junction. You have to take your own safety in to your own hands, you are so vulnerable on a bike. I would of expected a loss of speed on the approach to the hazard which would of been personified given the presence of the car in the junction, There is a lot of view ahead!

Slow in slow through and accelerate away....there should be a rhythm to the ride, or a rise and fall rather than the constant speed.

just my humble pence worth.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you Matt, that was very thoughtful of you to release details in this way. I think David's Mother was particularly brave to take part and allow the footage. It has helped me for the future for sure.

Do you know, I predicted above response - so easy to start lecturing after the event..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I got sent the Norwich evening news link off forum.

'Some viewers may find distressing', I didn't realise how distressing.

Be warned, I wish I had read this thread first.

9. What is the purpose of releasing the video what was the aim of the family in agreeing the release of the video.......

If you are that good or dont want to learn from this then stick to your snide comments thats fine, i dont really care!

Maybe the problem with a lot of motorcyclists is the gulf between actual ability and perceived ability.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  10. What about if you're in a plane and it's the pilot's turn to go? :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. that's the very point - the whole video is self contained and I DID learn from it (or can't you read either?) - I personally didn't need your follow up comments as I DIDN'T learn anything from them.

12. what about being in charge of your own destiny.....

13. what especially the perceived ability versus actual ability...........i doubt it!

14. As this is local to me some of the footage was shown on the local news. I didn't know the guy involved, and feel sorry for the family but praise their courage in releasing the video for others to learn from it. The road is notorious for accidents (A47) as it's a main artery within the county, but is mostly single carriageway with loads of side roads. It's often closed for accident investigation/recovery and is being touted for dualling, but when that will happen I wouldn't like to hazard a guess! Without doubt speed played a part in this accident, and his mother acknowledged that he lived his whole life at "speed", but the car driver should have been more aware, hence the ban and suspended sentence he received. I'm not going to get in any arguments on here as to the rights or wrongs, and if you don't want to see the video then don't watch. The local news showed up to about 1 second before impact, and then what was left of both vehicles and it isn't pleasant. All I can add is RIP David

15. can I get you a spade there Andy? - you have decided to assess my actual ability without me even so much as commenting on here (ever) in that vein or even meeting me and observing me ride??.. after you with the milk, I rest my case.

16. i nee to say this. if you want your car fixed go to a mechanic, if you want to speak about road safety, you know the rest. R.I.P.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fuck sake you have just ruined my whole outlook on life/death and the meaning of life

• Like Like x 2
  18. yep! you and the thousands of others!

19. I often have the piss taken because of my extreme reactions to other road users, even the class 1 Met fella on our recent trip described it as an over-reaction ;) and this is exactly why

I ride quick, I enjoy speed, I take all the precautions I can (given the speed I ride at) and expect everyone is trying, on purpose, to kill me.

RIP mushty

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. That's what Reeva Steenkamp said.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information