1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Numb Hand And Handlebar Grips

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Ian Cottier, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Hi all,

been riding my Monster 1200 R for over 500 miles now (LOVE IT) and noticed that I've had issues with my (mainly throttle) hand going numb !!

I've thought this may be due to my Knox Handroid gloves being tight, but after trying another pair of gloves (which did reduce a LOT), I still had some numbness.

Looking at older posts on internet, it appears that Ducati handlebars are smaller diameter than most and I'm now thinking the issue is due to my hand wrapping round too far and thicker bar grips would help.

Anyone else had similar issues and/or recommendation for 'fatter' grips ?

Cheers, Ian

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Not sure if you want the added functionality but ive got Oxford heated grips on all 3 of my bikes, the main reason is ive got extensive nerve damage in my right wrist and hand so it suffers from the cold a lot more than normal. Cos of the added heat functionality the grip is a bit fatter...just a thought...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ditto on the oxford grips, the heat helps the pain in the fingers as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Try adding heavy bar end weights and filling the bars with lead shot - in some sort of condom arrangement - I use heat shrink and bolts to blank off the ends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grip puppy installed on R hand grip only with good result. Used as some grip problems with aging joints. Used them initially on my Multistrada as pins and needles on riding but a Carpal Tunnel Release cured it!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've gone for the Grip Puppies. Fit great - still need to try them out on a ride. Initial feel is that they are definitely a larger grip, so signs bode well for less numbness !!

7. I rode my monster 1200s today and got a bit of numb hand as well. let me know the feed back on the puppies :)

8. Have occasionally felt the old vibe, but nothing too bad. I've ordered some puppies as I also think the grips are a tad thin. Still loving the bike - just clocked over 2700 miles

9. Good news. Much less vibration and my hands (wearing the same gloves) were a major improvement. For £13, well worth it (the other option to change gloves !!)

• Like Like x 1
  10. The foam grips (puppies) may slide around a bit on the original grips, especially the right one. If that turns out to be a problem, I suggest wiring them in place using stainless lock wire. That's what I do. Don't go overboard with glue, or you'll never get them off again.

11. For far, no issue @Pete1950 but worth knowing

12. Nice to hold some soft Puppies - Easy to fit, and seem very comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have been suffering with this for a few years now, numb forefinger and thumb mainly, regardless of bike or gloves, ordered a pair of these puppies....

14. +1 for the puppies. A contributor on here that I met at Box Hill recommend them to me.
    I really like them. Gives a much more comfortable ride on any road going bike.

15. Check the levers are not angled to high, it's a problem with quite a few Ducatis from what I have seen and they have little tags that stop you moving the levers down which is dumb. You should have a straight line down your arm and to the levers. You may have to get rid of the tags or buy some spare clipons.
    It makes a huge difference to wrist and hand pain. Its something you get a lot on dirtbikes because you spend so much time on the clutch doing enduro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ..any tips on squeezing them on, or is it a case of brute fore and ignorance?

17. They slip on really easy with a bit of hair spay inside of them (that is if you have access to hair spray that is :baby:)

I've actually taken mine off. Whilst they are indeed comfy, they were just a tad too large for me. I may end up just removing the OEM grips for something a bit thicker

18. Thanks, just read on their website that a bit of soapy water is the key .. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information