1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nurburgring - Fastest Lap And An Interesting Article

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Nigel Machin, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Was a while back if I remember correctly.

Pretty sure Andy had a big shunt not that long ago (not his fault)
    I'm sure someone can confirm

2. Yeh it's 2012, makes a very good case for BST wheels

3. That is seriously quick . If hed been on the track on his own he would have been a few seconds faster but that was an awesome lap.

4. Quality lap that, watched it a few times and it's so on the edge at times it scares the shit out of me.

I go there quite a lot, was actually there at easter with the Mrs and kids in the car as it's a beautiful area the Eifel.

Only ever do a few nordschleife laps each time but enjoy all of them, my avatar pic was from last year on the beemer, that was a good couple of laps as it felt less intense on the naked because you seem to have a better field of vision.

I'll head back again early may I think on the XR, then again towards the end of the year, one of the trips I think I'll use it as a pit stop on route to the black forest

• Like Like x 1
  5. fuckn hell. thats some balls. super impressed. will try similar style on the way to work tomorrow morning

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. good luck with that

7. Have done the ring on numerous occasions both two and four wheels never fails to impress

8. nice footage

• Like Like x 3
  9. Id just like to confirm that he's a monumentally quick rider - made friends with him a couple of years back at the TT....I think by the end of the mountain he gained about 3 corners on me!! nice bloke...

Here he is on windy corner...

IMG_2495.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. That was a good watch, bet he's never late for anything.

11. Andy Carlile, been mates with him for years, since he first came to germany and helped out on the PB articles with the Baron.
    He had a very hard bump tail end of 2015, the bike is/was atotal wreck. Basically he was off throttle after spotting something not right as he was going thru a corner at 130, if he had still been on it he'd have been closer to 160. The bike hit the armco three times with him sustaining just hard knocks. He had hit fluids left by an unknown car that had also claimed another car at the same spot. Andy was very lucky not to hit it. The next day he was back at work with me instructing in TF.
    The whole incident was a very costly affair as the perpetraitor of the original fluid dump was never found.
    Even to this day he hasn't put a spanner or wrecking bar to the bike to strip it down.
    He spent so much time analysing the video of the 7'10 lap but couldn't better it, conditions, traffic, bike all conspiring against him. He does have a turbo R1 that he is building that one day may see light.
    Some of the bikes in the 7'10 lap were mates out on track spaced to give him a target. Even he admits that he would striggle to get sub 7. The other guy being chased by the megane is good but still a long way from Andy.
    Andy is a walking computer, he is so analytical of all he does. Many preople ask him why not use a new bike, but thats not his way.
    His goal is to go do the TT but after so many goes at nagging him he still hasn't got his license yet. He really enjoyed going to the TT and was on a pace of about 119mph with his R1.
    He also feels that his mate Guy Martin is such a long way off realistically taking the ring record. Besides the management will still never allow an official attempt so the only option is in tf, which he can't devote the minths/years to wait for every planet tp align.
    Anyway its winter now and Andy is away working in the french slps untill spring. Next season is a way away yet but don't expect any record attempts. The ring has become so dangerous for bikes over the last few years with too many cars out there. Despite living /working at the place i havn't done a single bike lap this year. Seen too many frinds/visitors come a croper thru no fault of their own.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Very enlightening mate thank you for posting. A trick Beamer or new R1 would surely be the way forward for Andy!?

I seem to recall guy talking about wanting to do a ring record and having been offered bikes but the production team etc not being up for it..

I would honestly love to see some of the TT boys have a go at it. They'd be the ones for the job surely..

13. A few of the current top tt guys have been to the ring, quick yes but still a near blind Baron or Andy can leave them in their wake. I think Bren (Baron) has done close to 15,000 laps. Honing his knowledge of the place before the masses came and spoilt the party. The top guys struggle coz of the traffic, even Guy this summer was struggling big time getting his head around the cars.

#14 doogalman, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  14. I've often wondering that if someone like Mc Pint or Dunlop or any of the other top TT lads spent a few weeks there on some pucker machines if they'd break the record..

In my head at least i'd think they possibly would. Not taking anything away from the riders previously mentioned, but they've certainly got the skill for it.. just would need to get their head around the place and what makes it tick surely?

I seem to remember Guy talking about it on his speed programme and saying he thought with enough time he could break the record, as he could see from footage areas to improve.

15. As much as it's interesting and thrilling to watch people try to break the record, I don't wanna see anyone die or get seriously hurt so it might be best to leave it at what it is.

16. Guy Martin has again been quoted stating he wants to hold the ring motorbike record. Featured somewhere in the latest motor cycle monthly jan2017 edition.

#17 GunZenBomZ, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I guess it's human nature to want to overcome barriers and be the best

That's what makes the TT so competitive after all

18. Given the fellas race at Macau, can't imagine the armco etc will be a burden, as dog says more the traffic and any appetite from the owners to 'allow' it to happen. Plus is the record set on closed or open day? Its its ope, then they need to do open to compare.

19. I think that's where the difficulties lie.. because the current record is BTG is it not, meaning it's not 'official' and I doubt the production co and Nurburgring owners are going to promote guy etc running on a public day aka BTG which is frowned upon anyway?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information