1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Oberon Clutch Slave Fitted

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Feb 22, 2017.

1. A quick note on the fitting of an Oberon clutch slave cylinder to my 1200 DVT.

Why? Well I've suffered slave cylinder failure twice before, once on an Aprilia RSV and once on a KTM 950 Adv. Not nice. I wasn't happy to see the Ducati slave looking very much like the one I had on my Aprilia, so I decided to swap it for a higher spec Oberon one as preventative maintenance. I'll carry the Ducati one under the seat as a spare in case of problems.

Fitting is pretty easy. There's very little fluid leakage. It's a matter of unbolting the plastic sprocket cover and giving it all a nice clean before removing the old cylinder (to avoid crud getting in to the gubbins). Remove the banjo, unbolt the old cylinder, bolt on the new one, put the banjo back on with the supplied new crush washers. Then bleed as you would a brake caliper. 1 hour tops.

The result is a much smoother clutch lever action which is also lighter by "quite a bit" i.e. it's noticeable lighter and more pleasant. That, plus hopefully better reliability, equals happiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hello tobers

Do you have the original brake levers on the bike? Did you notice any drag or engagement problems with the new slave? What about the adjustment of the levers? Any second thoughts?
    I have a 30mm STM one and I removed it because the lever travel was not enough to do a totally trouble free gear shift (albeit with non-original levers which do have a different travel tbh). It was really easy on my fingers though and I miss it a bit.

3. Cheers for that Tobers, I've just ordered one. Last year on tour my hand was knackered with all the gear changing up and down the Alpine passes, hopefully this will make it easier. I'm not at home so can you tell me if there is a normal bleed nipple on the system.

4. One at the bottom on the slave and one at the top on the master.

5. Thank you

6. Yep - normal nipple as per brake calipers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I initially bought shorty levels, so that I can still grip the bars when actuating the controls. It quickly became apparent that the clutch was too stiff to repeatedly actuate with only two fingers, so I bought the Oberon 29mm clutch slave. It reduced effort slightly, but it's still a heavy clutch compared with the KTM 1190, which has 1 finger actuation from the factory. I still get fatigued in traffic, but that may just be because I'm an engineer.

8. Maybe you need to work harden your clutch hand :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information