1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Oem Or As Is

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by 916forum, Mar 14, 2017.

?

OEM or As s

Poll closed Mar 21, 2017.
  1. OEM

40.0%
  2. As Is

60.0%
  1. I have an 2011 1198 with DTC and QS etc, a full 70mm with slash cuts and 48t slipper. Its been dyno'd by CJS and makes 170bhp, I have the CJS chart to prove this. I wish to sell this now and move to another bike (1299). Would I get more selling as oem and bits separately or as is? That is my dilemma. Oh and it'll have a new sprag too as Ive just fitted new sprag, flange and starter gear. It has ~17k mileage. Its white. Its not been crashed or tracked but its been round Europe a bit. Has a FDSH. Has been very reliable up to the point the sprag throw in the towel.

I have all OEM parts.

Any advise on a realistic selling price appreciated. I am realistic. I suspect oem and sell parts would give me more towards a 1299. I seek a consensus to sell realistically but not give the stuff away. :)

Apologies for poll but Ive never done one before and well, the opp was there an all...:)

Mark

cjs dyno.JPG

2. I voted as is as i believe it is more attractive to a buyer with the bits on it (even one who may be looking for an S model) plus less hassle for you than having to ship independent parts out to buyers. As for cost, not too sure sorry, a wild stab at £8k?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Pavey. Swapping parts and shipping them is no big deal to me. Esp as I still have the fairings off after the sprag job. Clutch swap 1/2 hr. Exhaust and hour or two and swap back filter and ecu 1/2hr.

(yes I did use TB1375B Green on the rotor nut and 350Nm :))

4. I sold my 1098 a few years ago after taking all the bling off. Termis, rearsets, carbon bits etc. I ended up £1k better off. The bike will be easier to sell with it all on but wont realise the value of the extra bits sold separately. Some people aren't bothered about things like carbon for example so will be reluctant to pay extra for it. The biggest hassle is taking it off but if you don't mind doing that then it's not such a chore. The problem when selling a bike is when you advertise it and it's out in a sea of other bikes that are for sale. People tend to primarily look at price, mileage and age. If a bike is higher priced because it's got extras that someone doesn't want or there not to their taste they will look at a cheaper bike without them. Bling always sells well separately on eBay etc because there's an audience just waiting to buy. This way you can let the bike go cheaper and make it up with parts. However This us just my own opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It is a question of six and two threes i believe, as doesn't everybody (or the majority) want all the bits, so it does make a bike stand out? I myself would always pay a little bit more to get one with the bits on. However, i do also agree with Big M's viewpoint, although different to mine.

In conclusion, there is no right answer! Helpful bunch aren't we? :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hmm. I'd always thought people preferred standard bikes. I know I do personally. Then add my own bits afterwards. I guess I could sell as is but I really need to scape the barrel of pennies. :)

7. I think the older the bike people prefer OEM. As above, i go by price>miles>age.

You can always say, "I've the Termi's in a box over there, i'll do you a deal on them" when you sell the standard bike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. my opinion is if your going to trade your bike in to a dealer then yes back to standard, but if your going to sell private id keep all the parts on there but price accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. We all want to buy a bike that's been look after, cared for and not thrashed. sometimes the extras you have on a bike can tell a story of how It's been used, but also can give the wrong signals of how it's been used. Two years ago I bought a 1098S. The bike was lowish miles 7.5k in great condition but had 'track bike' written all over it even though the chap selling said he'd only done the odd track outing on it, quick shifter, reverse shift, power commander etc etc. It all seemed a bit too risky and I walked away. When I got home I for some reason remembered the name of the garage where he'd had it serviced. It was his local non Ducati workshop, so I found their number and gave them a ring. The mechanic remembered the bike and the chap. He laughed telling me that the chap selling had a 'money no object' attitude and they'd bolted £££'s of extras to it to make it into a track bike for him, but apparently he was well known for riding round the track at no more than 80mph. The mechanics opinion was that it was the one to buy!. So I rang the seller and did the deal. It's been a great bike but I could have missed out on it because the extras on the bike were giving the wrong signals.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Interesting views. I am no track day fiend, but I'm a fairly quick road rider. I dont track bikes as I cannot afford the repair bill. :) Thus I tend to just ride on the road and make rapid progress. Ahem. I might list it as is and see what I get then. Theres a multitude of differing prices on the bikes on ebay and I just want to be realistic. Ive looked after the bike but at the same time ive used it. I wont say its not been rained on as it has. But thrashed? I'd be dead if I thrashed it. Shes an animal. Shes done 177 on a french autoroute before I decided that cowardice is better than valour and backed off. Other than that she rarely gets over 6k on rpm. I live for torque rather than speed and she has plenty of that. Probably too much if Im honest.

11. I had a similar dilemma selling my 1198. I took off the Termis (end cans, Ecu, and air filter) andsold them seperately for £400. The dealer I traded the bike in to said the trade in value wouldn't be much different regardless, so suggested I removed the bits myself and flogged them on.
    I would perhaps hang on the accessories until after the sale though if you're selling it privately - give a buyer first refusal?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information