1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Ohlins Du1430

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bettes, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Evening all.
    Fitted this to the bike this evening. All seems ok but the preload resovoir seems to be too close (almost touching) the exhaust. Part of the problem is that I re drilled the exhaust hanger to get the end cans closer to the seat unit at the back. But even if I lowered them a bit, I think that part of the shock would still touch. Thinking that I might have to put a small dent into the pipe...

IMG_2843.JPG

Anyone offer some advice before poor @Tobytyke has to waste another evening? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Try and twiddle about with the pipes to get a bit of clearance - do not ding them :Facepalm: good to see your still active :Wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Should be able to twist the shock body clockwise, you might need to loosen the locking nut off at the bottom first though, nip back up after

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks a lot pal. I was just reading the same thing on another forum. So, would you clamp the top part of the shock in a vice and just spin the preload adjuster by hand?

Cheers, Ian

5. Cheers mate. Just got back this evening. Pain's gone for now. Pumped full of drugs so wouldn't really notice anyway! :)

6. No difference there then :Watching:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Had a similar issue with the 54mm system on my 853. Solution was to compress the spring to release the remote pre load adjuster and turn it through 180 degrees. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I read one of FE's posts on the other forum and he said he did it just by hand. Anyway, all helpfully stuff, cheers

9. There's definitely room, I had the same shock sat in a chasis with a 63 mil system. Bit of twiddling and you'll be grand

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sound thanks. I've a 54 system on so there must be enough space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Not particularly brilliant photos but hopefully gives you the idea. Andy

20170309_111009.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Many thanks, Andy. I'll have a good look once I get my iPad out. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Thanks Andy, so you twisted the preload through 180 degrees so the adjuster is pointing towards the back of the link pipe?

Cheers

14. I didn't but that was what was done on advice from Wilf when it went in for a service. Works fine although access is a little fiddly because of my crankcase breather pipe that goes to a tank under the seat. Not sure if they took the shock off and did it on the bench which would make sense. Happy to ask if you need. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Right then. After altering the height of the end cans, ended up with about 5mm clearance. Went out for a short run and the shock didn't seam to get too hot.
    IMG_1848.JPG
    Might not need to reposition the preload res?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yip :Cigar: :Angelic:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information