1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Oil Around Clutch Slave Area

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by trig, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Hi. Just in the middle of cleaning up my 999 and found oil is leaking from the couch slave area. It is a bit messy and has spread around the crank case.
    Clutch operation was working as normal (no drag).
    Clutch push rod has oil on it at slave end but how do i tell if it is hydraulic or engine. I suspect the MPL slave is fine but would like to know for sure. Is there a way to be able to diagnose this?

Assuming I need to replace the 2 push rod o rings, does anyone no the size and material needed?
    I will replace the slave cylinder and the clutch basket end seals as well. Maybe the clutch pushrod bearing to.
    Anyone know details of those parts as well?

Thanks

2. Good clean first for inspection, it could just be chain oil splatter.
    Steve

3. If its the engine case gasket dont bother with the silicon like it has on OEM. When i changed my sprag bearing i used a gasket supplied by @Exige . loads less hassle and cleaner tbh. If i have to take the crank side off I will replace that too.

www.exactUK.com - CCW Ducati Gaskets & O-Rings

4. The MPL (aftermarket) slave is off. I will give it a good clean. I don't want to take the bike out for a run. I don't expect I will be able to see where the leak is coming from though.
    I use dry chain lube so I know it isn't that.

5. Dry chain lube still flings off though, don't rule it out.

6. My MPL slave started leaking last year and then dumped all the fluid when I was about 1 mile from home while out on a ride. I contacted them by email, they were very friendly. They do a return and repair service for about €35. It will be the internal seal that has failed. Mine has been fine since.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thats good to know that they do a refurbishment Shaun. I saw your thread. I am thinking that I will try putting a G clamp over the unit to prevent the piston popping out, put some pressure on the clutch lever and see if the hole bleeds. If it doesn't bleed does that mean the slave unit is ok?

8. I would guess so. Mine leaked from the small breather hole on the back indicating an internal seal fail.

9. Hi trig
    I had a similar problem on an ST4S a few years ago. I went for the easiest and cheapest option first and replaced the 'O' rings on the clutch push rod, this solved the problem for me. I just called my local Ducati Dealer ( Ducati Coventry ) they sent them out in the post , cost was only a couple of quid.
    Kev

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hoping that's going to fix mine too [emoji33]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information