1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Filter Not Screwing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Afternoon

Undoing oil filter, the filter is turning but I've been doing it for 15 minutes and its still to stiff to undo by hand.

The outside is definitely turning, can it get detached from the threaded bolt inside?

2. They are a pressed construction so I guess it could spin - never had one do that though. If you have been undoing for 15mins it must be I guess!
    Here's an exploded view of a filter.

image002.jpg

3. It's turning, but it's so tight still I have to use the topic and effort. My kids wouldn't be strong enough to turn it with the tool.

I thought once it starts it should spin off fairly easily.

4. Yeh, chocolate bars are not the best for oil filters, try a socket :Angelic:
    Sounds like the housing is spinning.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Punch a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver and drain off the oil...........

..........then rip the bottom of the filter off..........

.....then use the needle nose pliers / ring spanner trick up the inside to turn that top plate with the holes in like wot you see in Exige's photo..........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Could you expand on this trick please?

7. Once you have got the bottom of the filter cut off, look up the inside and you will see the plate with holes in it.............

You take a pair of long needle nose pliers, slip a long ring spanner over one of the plier handles and rotate it so it touches the other handle........do it in such a way that when you use the ring spanner as a lever, the pliers twist anti-clockwise.........

.......once you have worked that bit out, shove the noses of the pliesr up the inside of the filter so they go through two opposite holes in the plate................then keeping them well shoved in, use the ring spanner and pliers to turn the plate anti-clockwise.

Don't use weak pliers, though.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. Or puncture through the outer case and through the plate:

Presentation1.jpg

9. As per Arquebus' post, get into the filter base.

The filter on my Monster engine was so tight when I first got it that it ripped when I tried the screwdriver through the casing trick.

I ripped the filter apart and made a tool to fit into the base, in the same way as needle pliers might, except it is heavier duty and I can get some leverage on it;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made from a few bolts, nuts & washers.

10. And that kids, is why we don't buy cheap are oil filters and over tighten the!

Thanks as always guys.

Ps, need some new pliers!

uploadfromtaptalk1457892515565.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. That's why I made a tool...

12. HAR HAR

13. I had a picture of Nelson,off the Simpsons,in my head when I typed that.^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I know it's a good tool that could be easily made yourself but the demo film could have been a bit more realistic, the filter tightened up while drilling the bottom off. It was supposed to be stuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Must be a good filter, that oil coming out of there looks perfect...

16. Nice tool, but I wouldn't have room to put a drill under my sump.

17. What I don't get is how do these things get so tight if you are only supposed to do em hand tight?

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. The usual problem is because they are not lubed on the o ring before instalation and the rubber sticks to the mating surface.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. That doesn't stop the filter tightening up on mine but it probably stops it tightening so much that I have to go through some of the horror show stuff seen in this thread :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information