1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Frosty 2.0, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Just fitted a new slip on for my monster 796 this morning. It has been sitting in a heated garage all winter. Been using the bike the whole riding season and no problems. After fitting the slip ons this morning, brought the bike outside and started it. It started fine but to my surprise the bike is leaking oil while running. No oil leaks on the ground where it was parked on the rear stand. Turned off the bike and pushed it inside. No oil leaks when not running. What could be the problem? Seems it is coming near the oil filter. Thanks in advance.

2. Most likely from the oil filter. I had the same problem on my Scrambler (same engine) after it had been serviced. Loosening the filter and re-tightening it sorted it. I presume that maybe the seal was fitted dry and distorted when it was tightened.

3. First thing to check is that the oil filter is actually torqued up correctly. For years I only ever did this up hand right as has always been the usual way with car and bike filters and never had any issues.

However, over the last couple of years, I reckon Ducati must have changed manufacturer's or the material of the deal, as only torquing it up to 11 Nm, as written in VERY small writing on the actual filter, seems to stop them weeping.

11 Nm is way tighter than I would ever have done up a filter in the past (normally the engine creates a natural suction and the filter only ever gets pulled into a tighter seal) and the factory manual and Haynes both specify even higher torque settings (14 and 17 Nm from memory!).

The only way you can really do the filter up correctly is with a cup-type filter tool and a torque wrench, but it had stopped any filters weeping when I've done it this way.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks for the insights Derek and Samurai. As I have stated, been riding the bike almost everyday last riding season and had it parked the rest of the winter without starting it. Just happened I fitted slip ons and after just pulled the bike outside and started it and after a couple of seconds, saw oil dripping from the bike. No drips whatsover when returned the bike and not runnin. Could it be possible that filter slacked and loosen? Not seeing oil leaks on the engine case, but drips down at the bottom of the filter to the ground. I may try to get a generic oil wrench and try to tighten it more, clean the oil leaks on the bike and see how it goes. Hopefully will sort out the problem.

5. It's entirely possible that in leaving the bike over the winter without the engine being run regularly that the filter seal has cried out a bit and the whole thing loosened up with expansion when the engine got hot.

Be careful with a genetic filter wrench as any scissor type one will send to crush the filter if you apply any real force and that in itself will cause leaks.

A cup type is really the only way you can do it up correctly as the force needed is quite significant!

6. I use a strap type oil filter wrench then I put a jubilee clip around the filter and lock wire it to the frame,I know it's overkill but it's a handy way to loosen the filter when removal, A light tap on the jubilee clip with a rubber mallet and its loose!
    This way I know it won't move!

7. Thanks guys for the insights, went to walmart this morning and got myself a generic oil wrench. Tried to check if it went loose and surprised that there was really no effort in loosening the oil filter! So I turn it to make it tight and I felt that it was the tightest to go on the filter. Cleaned underneath oil filter and engine. Turned on the bike. No leaks! So it was just a loos filter! Relieved! Thanks guys!

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information