1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Stock Belts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nasher, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bit naughty of Moto Rapido this:
    Genuine Ducati Spare Parts Cam Timing Belt Set, Monster Supersport, 73710081A | eBay

The auction text says “These are of course fresh stock and the latest kevlar reinforced type”

The auction title and text suggests they are the newer part number 73710081A, but if you look carefully the image shows the old part number 73710011A, which means they could be a couple of years old.

They are £76 not £88, but considering the 2yr supposed life on the bike if used or not, I think I’d rather check with them first and have newer belts for the extra few quid.

Nasher

2. It's possible that they are just using a "library" photo that they have of older belts. Easiest thing would be to send them a message via eBay or phone. That should allow you to get a definitive answer.

If there was any mix up you would have every right to return them under eBay rules as not being correctly described or the wrong part. Either way eBay\Paypal should refund your money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't actually need any myself at the moment, and as I said in my post, I'd check with them first.

But, there are others who might order them without asking, and although I agree you would be able to send them back, it's a real pain when you get to Sunday morning, have arranged some time off from the family to do the work and find you've not been sent what you expected.

I'll call them shortly to ask the question.

Nasher.

4. So, gave them a call.

They have assured me the image is just an old one and the latest '81A' part will be supplied.

As I'll need a set in a couple of months I'm going to run over a get a pair in the morning anyway as it's a good price.
    I know I could get a better price out of our pet supplier on here, but I'm always up for a dribble on the big range of bikes they have in stock.

Nasher

5. Belts have long shelf life.
    10yrs I think.
    I think theyre good for double that personally if kept out of sunlight. Red writing signifies theyre later kevlar reinforced type.

6. Everyone's favourite (not) Ducati Main Dealer were selling old stock belts on Ebay last year that were years old. Oh, and Ducati Belts do not have Kevlar in them, not the old ones or the new ones :)

7. Nope, no Kevlar, but storage is the key - no UV exposure during storage otherwise they could have deteriorated.

#7 Exige, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  8. Indeed, the red reinforcement cord is glass fibre, kevlar is yellow.

AFAIK belts don't generally 'break', rather the rubber deteriorates causing the teeth to shear off, using kevlar cord would be unnecessary because the cord isn't the weakest link.

9. I heard solar flares make the kevlar deteriorate resulting in your desmodromic gears spontaneously combusting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. If only you had told us sooner :Facepalm:

11. Only on Panigale belts.

12. Those Pesky Panigales :mad:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information