1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 On Fire

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by farmind, Feb 22, 2017.

1. With the new 999 motor, wheels, brakes and suspension I thought it was a shake down time, just going around town, I had a back fire on the rundown but with a DP flashed ECU I didn't think much to it except it killed the engine, but it restated and I rode on, blasted on the motorway a bit and going home through he town another backfire and killed the engine, but this time a lot of smoke coming out of the front air intakes and petrol pissing out the bottom. Smoke claimed down and I pushed the bike home.
    Pulled off the air box and inside the fuel pipe burst a hole and pissed fuel onto the left filter, the backfire set it all on fire, only thing I cant work out is why didn't it keep burning, it was on fire, it had air and a ton of fuel, so new pipes, new filters wash out the box and on again.
    Strange that the pipe burst a hole? was it a small pin hole there since I had the bike? but now with the flashed ECU and the backfire that was not there with the 749 motor and DP ECU caused the pin hole to light up and made the hole bigger and then the big fire. anyway see pictures and interested if anyone else had the plastic fuel pipe fail.

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

2. Poo :Wideyed:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Schmokin'!

Could have been worse!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thats what I reckon, that could have turned real nasty, like a Chaz fire!

5. Lucky ecape
    You are listed as being in Cornwall, could it be the Davy Lamp principle that prevented the fuel from igniting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. It looks to me as if the backfire has set the filters on fire (not that unusual with proper backfires and foam filters, whether oiled or dry) and the heat from them is what has blistered the pipe, not IMHO that the pipe was leaking beforehand. Probably didn't keep burning because the fire and smoke had used all the oxygen available in the airbox

7. I rode today and no backfire.

8. Well they say every ride on a Ducati is an event, but for it to set itself on fire sounds a bit too eventful for me!
    Good to hear all seems ok now though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Hope you get it fixed & sorted!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information