1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT On Going Gps Problem Gets Worse

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by apuhtred, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Still can not get GPS to work so in desperation wired a 12v to 5v transformer straight to the battery. Can not fail I thought. Still exactly the same. Bloody GPS works perfectly with in car charger in the car but connected to the multistrader USB or the direct to battery line says this will not charge. Completely pissed off and out of ideas. Went for a ride this morning to clear my head and found that connecting to the battery has caused the clock to go wrong the mph to now be in kph and the mileage to have jumped from 11000 miles to 18000 miles. Tried to change the clock back. Press button 3 and 4 together for 3 seconds. Nothing just stays on mode. Not sure if you are allowed to say this but fucking bollocks bastard shit. Is it me ? beating my head against brick wall. Am I at the point of having to go to the dealer for something so bloody simple?

Regards Stupid

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Hi @apuhtred,
    I think you'll find your mileage has changed from miles to kilometers. You just need to change your units back to mph & miles. See the Youtube video on how to do this.

3. Ahh of course. Cheers getting so wound up with the bloody thing.

many thanks Steve

4. Which GPS are you trying to fit?
    There is a power supply connector under the left had fairing, you can use one of the connector 'tails' that come with the bike to create a connection to your sat nav. This will only come on with the ignition switched on. There are plenty of threads about it on here if you search...

5. You using the same USB cable as in the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. In reply to last questions.
    1.garmin 2599 which worked on my 1098s and my s1000rr.
    2. No not using usb in car using car charger plugged into 12v ciggy socket. This has a 12v to 5v transformer built in to the bit that plugs in.

Regards desperate

7. Stupid question but have you tried using a different USB cable? Does the 12v to 5v converter terminate in a female USB socket that you're plugging the same USB lead into? USB cables do fail, I have one for my phone that charges at about half the rate of another, both original Samsung cables...

#7 Bumpkin, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. I'm going with USB cable. As Twin4Me said, there is a dedicated cable that Ducati leave you free, on the bike. This is a switched 12v supply that will not drain your your battery if left connected.

Wiring the 12v to 5v to that wire, should work perfectly (and is what many others have done). I had it on my multi and wired up some for other forum members (for [emoji481]). In fact, I've done the same today on my KTM as I hate ciggie adapters on bikes.

As has been mentioned, USB cables can be made differently. Some are done as 'data only', some will allow 1a charging and others will allow fast charging (2.4a). Use another cable and give that a go, I bet the one you are using is for connecting to a PC only (for map updates etc.)

9. Guys thanks for this. However I have tried 5 different usb cables all the same. Two of these are garmin branded so should be correct. I can see what you say about the seperate supply left under the front panel but if I am going straight from the battery can not see how it can fail. What I am falling down on is what is the faulty component. Is it the lead or the garmin GPS. What throws me on both of these is the leads work fine with other stuff so to my mind that lets them out and the GPS works in the car. Going to have another crack at Garmin help desk today and see if they can pin it down. Oh and other items also work perfectly with the ducati supplied USB lead on the bloody bike.

Cheers for all who have tried to help.

Regards Steve

Regards

10. Could be faulty USB port on the Garmin then.

You could wire up a ciggie adapter and use the car lead if all else fails

11. Might come to that. Garmin have said as it is not a zumo then they cannot help in wireing it to a motorcycle. Easy out. Dealer has said I have tried everything they can think of. One of the tech guys at work said had I updated it. Well I had brought the maps up to the current version. His take was that there may be something in this to stop you wireing car GPS to motorcycle to save money. Possible I suppose but never going to know. Going to try another GPS on same lead and see what that does.

Regards Steve

12. Well, if you ever take a ride East (East Sussex / Kent border), happy to take a look.

13. Cheers mate. Tried another garmin and it works straight away with both the line from the battery and the usb. did this with my lead so wires are ok and so is lead. I have resigned myself to fitting a ciggy lighter under the seat. What a lash up but stumped.

Regards Steve

14. Just watch out for battery drain if going direct to the battery. You could always wire up a ciggie to the Ducati supplied lead as it's 12v switched.

I myself just use my phone... here's a pic of me about to time travel (satnav pictured)
    [​IMG]

15. Looks like you've upgraded your case - what did you go for?

16. Quad Lock system. Rather good as you can have it any 90 degree orientation (hence the quad) and it locks (hence the lock [emoji23]) itself in place. You have to push down the blue part and twist to release. I could crash the bike and the phone would be the only part to survive.

I purchased the below 'bar' type mount on the assumption I could take it apart and mount it onto my flat GPS back plate. I was right and you can just fit a longer bolt right through the thing. Also got the same mount in the car for ease. Case sits on the phone very nicely and isn't bulky.

Phone is water resistant so I don't bother with the optional rain cover.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. Interesting. Considered the Quadlock many times, but dismissed it on the grounds it'd bulk the phone out too much, and the concave mount was no good for the flat-surfaced Navihalter.

Any pics of what you've done to get it to fit?

18. I was very surprised how little bulk the receptacle adds to the back of the phone. It hides the bulk very well.

Anyway, here's the quad lock. Just replaced the oem bolt with a longer one that negates the concave bit at the back. [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. With Garmin 660 motorcycle mount there is a battery drain even with Garmin off. That is verified by me with ammeter and a few other people. So I use it only on a switched 12v socket with no problems. Not sure of other Garmin mounts.

20. Nice one. Looks good. Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information