1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 One Click, No Start

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Townsend6413, Oct 11, 2016.

1. I too no longer leave the battery permanently on charge but let it discharge a little and then charge it back up

2. So stater motor is off.
    Removed the 2 bolts.
    Cue the black sludge dripping out of cap!!!

Obviously some water had got in and mixed with the carbon deposits. Im hoping this is the cause of my problem, which seems to be obvious now.

New bushes and seals here on tuesday.

Motor now cleaned ready for rebuild.............fingers crossed!!!

• Like Like x 7
  3. Right then, have done the following:

New battery
    New starter solenoid
    New starter motor brushes
    Cleaned all connections
    Changed spark plugs

The starter motor is working but still having trouble kicking over...........please help!!

Am yet to try new ht leads and new leads from exige, but funds have run out for now. Sooooo frustrated by this!!!!!

4. can understand your frustration after so much work. So starter is on bike now? did you test it before you refitted it? If it is on bike I would now try bypassing everything and acting directly on starter with a good pair of jump leads and good/known quantity battery as I suggested back in post #13. As said, be careful that connection to starter doesn't earth out and be ready for sparks when you touch on/make the last of the 4 jump lead connections. (if it was me I would also be double and triple checking bike was in neutral (- : )

#24 Chris, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi Chris
    Have tested it as suggested before and after it was refitted and starter motor is working fine. Just really struggles to turnover.

6. Do you mean it still struggles to turn the engine over when connected directly to a fresh battery?
    If so, it's not fine imho.
    Did you clean the commutator that the brushes make contact with ??

7. Have you got any bills for the sprag starter being replaced? have you had additional noises while starter motor was churning in the past e.g. starter will suddenly disengage particularly when churning slowly accompanied by a 'clatter'? You have been good to persevere with this.. Was engine running fine/ticking over ok last time you ran it? no oil light issues?
    Popping out now but I know guru @nelly will have far more input on this subject than just about anyone on here - (Sorry Neil, apologies if you are busy)

#27 Chris, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. No sprag issues apparent.
    Had been running absolutely perfect.
    Will try a different battery for testing again but can hear it trying to turn over.

Will continue to persevere til the end!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starter motor changed, leads changed, plugs changed, starter solenoid and new battery.

It works!!!

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information