1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Optimate 4 And Lithium Ion Batteries Help

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ResB1299, Nov 13, 2016.

1. The one I have is for my ZX10R race bike, but they're multi sized, so you would be able to get one that is a direct replacement in size for the 899
    Give Bob Collins a shout as FWR as he's a good guy and will be able to source you one exactly the same size
    Motorcycle Tyres - FWR LTD - Britain's Cheapest Tyres!

2. I ordered a shido battery from moto Rapido. It's a direct fit the same size as OEM but 2kg lighter

With the shido batteries you can use a normal 12v charger on it as long as it doesn't exceed 15v during balance phase and don't leave it on as they don't like trickle charge. Once they're charged initially though they're apparently maintainance free

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pretty happy with my Shorai with dedicated Shorai charger. In a 996.

4. My Lithium weighs in at 600 grams compared to the Yuasa that was fitted, admittedly on an 848, but 3 kgs saved. I also only fill the tank up to half the level so another 3.5 kgs saved there, trouble is that I can't feel any difference!
    I don't use a charger on it as it never loses any charge as other types do.

5. i looked at various batteries (shorai included) but the shido one has a BMS to protect the battery and is a like for like fit so does not require cables etc.

Also been told maintenance chargers are not required on these as they don't drop charge like a lead acid type. Basically the more basic the charger, the better with these just to make sure its fully charged before fitting it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm seeing lots of comments about the battery's not dropping charge and therefore not needing a trickle charger, and I agree with them in a battery sat on the shelf scenario but the bike is going to be drawing some current all the time for things like the immobiliser and a tracker if fitted, so surely u then need a trickle charger and is that then bad for the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Yes that's why I have the Shorai charger, which as has been said before also balances the cells to prolong its life. We all have lithium batteries in our phones and laptops, and so we all know that these batteries' lives do deteriorate over time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just ride the bloody thing and forget about a charger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. This

While we're on the subject does anyone want to buy a genuine Ducati battery charger?

10. Must admit the Shido battery on my 899 is remarkable it has been fitted for 2 years ish and has never seen a charger,have not used my 899 for 4 months and it started first kick last week,my 1299 has dp lithium battery as standard (skyrich brand)and the draw from the tracker gives me a low battery alert every 10 days,so a small drain seems to affect them quite badly,by comparison my multi is fitted with a Magneti Marelli lithium battery and needs to be charged up on a regular basis obviously dependant on use and has let me down on a couple of occasions on the plus side they only take 10 minutes on a normal car charger to get them fully charged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Mine just came from moto Rapido. Great service as always.

Charged and ready to fit. Amazing how light it is.

IMG_4658.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information