1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Option For Lifting Bike For Maintenance, Etc

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Jul 17, 2016.

1. I have a dodgy old paddock stand that rests under the swingarm - but the supports bend and i'm still on the floor.

I was at the National Motorcycle Museum and saw this picture which got me thinking about building a nice narrow bench, and using a support like the one here:

[​IMG]

I wonder if anyone has a lead on a support like the one in the picture, that slots into the swingarm bearing, or the frame mount?

2. Axle stands and a bar work well and should be stable

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Abba stand, awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  4. There's a spare hole through the engine on an SS, well there was on my 750...
    I've seen a guy use a high tensile bar, an axle stand and a trolley jack to great effect.

5. 900ss

6. Sev is correct, it mounts through the unused "tunnels" in the lower rear crankcases, axle stands and a round bar (I use stainless) is also handy but can foul footrests and if you do get a raised bench they probably won't fit, as too wide. Guess it depends on how big your bench will be.

7. Although I don't own a super sport, I can second the abba stand. Use it on my hypermotard,which is a super bike [emoji1], and it is AWESOME [emoji106]

8. Plus with the abba stand, theres an optional fitting which raises the front instead of the back

9. does anyone have pictures or video of abba stand in operation on a 900ss?

10. Can't say I have seen one but if you check out their website and YouTube you'll find a number of videos showing how it works. Also the folk at Abba stands are super helpful.

@Desmoquattro - on the Hypermotard the attachment you mention allows me to lift both the front & rear wheel at the same time.

11. Mmm looking at the swing arm attachment to the frame it could be a problem. I would say talk to Abba directly and see what they say.

12. It doesnt lift both on the SS you can do one or the other but need the extra attachment. Check this....my build using Abba stand. You can get attachments to go though footrest hangers as shown. This allowed me to then put on the swingarm and back wheel. Sorry not got better pics. Its so easy to lift too with extendable lever, wouldnt go without it now. 20160718_205510.jpg 20160718_205255.jpg

13. Downside with abba is you cannot get at swingarm if its in those holes. As above, if putting on a bench (and doing on the cheap because its not often) I'd spin the pegs so they dont fold up (or fit fixed rearsets) and use axle stands and a front paddock stand. Ideally and under the headstock one that can mean you can take the forks out

14. It's interesting to see how that ABBA "swinging arm removal" kit works, with the mounting onto the pillion footrest points - I got that kit bundled with my stand but have never used it. The standard 900SS mounting kit does use the swinging arm pivot points and it works fine too. Once up on the stand, to lift the front end to remove forks an alternative to jacking is to use ratchet straps from garage ceiling down to frame top tubes at headstock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Look at my pics, its through the footrest hangers using that kit. I used ratchet straps off roof to lift up rear to get engine in.

16. will do - thanks for all the ideas so far!

17. I'm sure this has been done before so I'm not claiming anything new here, but was curious to see how difficult it might be, turns out not at all difficult. (NOTE: Installation is strictly for maintenance)
    £20 ST2 centre stand, bit of faff with spacers etc. as didn't have all requisite bolt sizes, but it works, to remove is easy, R/H side fixing bolt and nut allows removal of stand, L/H fixing plate can stay put (if you like) as the side stand plate fixes on the outside of the center stand fixing plate.
    DSCF7143.JPG

DSCF7142.JPG

DSCF7141.JPG

DSCF7140.JPG

DSCF7139.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  18. Have to admit, thats pretty cool, but would offset the weight saving of all my carbon and light exhaust, lol!

Well maybe not quite all of it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information