1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Jobs - Whats A Reasonable Figure

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by MrAliT, Oct 5, 2016.

1. I'm looking to get a tank, front mudguard and tail piece painted on a project but as I've not had painting done before I'm after a bit of guidance.

It is likely to be one metallic colour rather than anything fancy. I've had a couple of quotes from 400 to 500 quid. Does this sound about right? Any guidance appreciated.

Drop me a PM if you don't want to post publically

2. Sounds expensive! Local place Cookster put me on to would paint all my multi panels for £300

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had a Diavel metal tank cover (which is huge) and 1200 Multistrada plastic tank cover resprayed in Anniversary red as one job which cost £350. I chose the sprayer in the knowledge that they were not going to be cheap but got a faultless job. Your quote would appear to put them in the same league so you should expect a top notch finish. I have found previously that if you do all the preparation work so all they have to do is spray, the price comes down. I had a set of 748 track fairings done in Ford Arctic White twin pack for £90 because I did all the prep work and the guy had 2 Transit vans in for repair that were Arctic White. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Metallic will always be more expensive, but the main work is in the prep: sanding off the old paint, filling any dents and imperfections, rubbing down to smooth, undercoat, paint, lacquer and a polish... probably works out about £15-20 per hour plus paint cost!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I had a quote locally from a guy that normally does classic bikes and it was 450 for the same plus re-doing the lacquer on my carbon side panels / exhaust heal guards. This is for a 900 Monster btw

Like you I had no idea if this was reasonable or not so a handy post for me to follow :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have a feeling it's one of those 'get what you pay for' events. If I go for the £400 it had better be spot on as @Android853sp says

7. as Antony says, the prep is the cost. Painting is hardly any time at all unless its layered colours and intricate

Could have a go yourself ;)

8. Sometimes you get lucky; if a painter already has a colour or is already doing a job (as Andy says above) then it's cheaper for them so they can pass on the saving. Most painters I know hate doing small stuff - like motorcycle parts - as it's a load of hassle for not much return, especially because we're all tight, picky buggers!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. £400 is not top end. Last time I got a 3 piece fairing and tail piece fresh from the mould fibreglass that needed a decent amount of prep along with a 900 Tank. Paint, applying decals and laquer was £450 (I supplied the decals). that was a cash job. The guy usually did cars but did some show stuff so knew his onions. I could easily have paid £700-£900 locally. As said though, it comes down to prep.
    I've got a couple of jobs to get done over the winter so will report back on what quotes I get :)

10. I just paid a couple of quid short of £600 to have this painted.
    [​IMG]
    The plastics are resin based, something like glassfibre, and gave of gases causing the paint to blister when put in the drying oven. So it all had to be dried at low temperatures. The decals cost me £65 but the paintshop charged another £50+VAT to apply them, they had to get a guy in to do them.
    The final finish though is first class , certainly better than it was new, and I consider it money well spent

• Like Like x 6
  11. That's really nice Derek :)

12. I had three lots of Pantah parts done very similar to this (3 fairings, 3 tanks, 3 seats, various panels and mudguards, complete with decals) for £1500 so about £500 per bike. A lot of preparation was required, and it was an excellent finish in the end. That seemed a fair price to me.
    index

13. £600 for this.
    My (painful) experience hasn't been the cost it's the false promises they make about how long it will take. Can you believe nearly a year despite being initially promised 2 - 3 months!

GS1000S (R).JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lovely job though! I'm looking at getting my 900 trackbike done in white with Italian blue :)

15. I'd say that was about right from experience price wise. i would probably estimate 450ish depending on repairs/prep work required if you brought the pieces to us. single panels are normally 120 then depending on amount or graphic work required it can increase. what you've got to chance is the quality of the workmanship. we charged 800cash for a f1 sidecar outfit this week bit that was cheap really considering the state of it. came out well though, all paint, no vinyl.

20161109_123244.jpg

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information