1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale 1199 Or S1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by JUN, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Need some help deciding....
    After my 899 got stolen a back in October last year, it put me off getting a good bike for some time, but I'm considering one again, but can't decide. How would the 1199 compare to the s1000rr both used and older models.
    Don't know too much on the s1000rr yet, but I'm looking for something for daily use

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. If it was daily use I'd probably say the S1000rr.

Nothing against the panigales at all, but from what I understand the 1199 is much more of a handful and not as refined as the 1299. I think I'd rather have a 1299 if we weren't talking about the R or S models

The S1000rr is a very easy bike to ride fast or slow, has all the comfort features like heated grips and QS, then if you happen to ride to a track day it'll pretty much be one of the easier 1000cc superbikes to have a great day on

I've owned a couple of the beemers S series (R & XR) and build quality and reliability was great.

Some might say boring and I understand that, but let's face it, if you're saying 'daily' you want something that's least likely to cause hassle

• Like Like x 2
  3. Royal is your man

But I've ridden s1000's on both road and track extensively.

S1000 is very very easy to ride and is an absolute scalpel. The engine is bonkers and you can do some serious distance on it.

The panigales and the s1000's are very different beasts. The s1000 id say is the Audi R8 of the bike world and you can use it every day whereas the panigales are the lambo.

My honest opinion is that technically speaking the Beamer is the best road bike sports bike you can buy.

However I still wouldn't buy one. Panigale all day long.

I found I just didn't fall in love with the BMW and got bored with it. When you ride a panigale your cock grows substantially, everyone looks at it and that includes the chicks (the bike not the cock). They're special and people appreciate them.

Ride both and decide - although I would say the 1299 is a better comparison to the BMW for road riding. The 1199 is very peaky for the road.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ^^what he said with the exception of the serious distance . Did a long day trip on the S1k & literally lost the will, the cruise is great but the constant vibes through the bars & pegs were exhausting.

I appreciate there are things that can be done to sort this (in part).

I think Royal may have mentioned the long distance thing once?

I do however feel it is easier to ride the beemer quicker. I always had a thing for the HP4 carbon, let's see if they bring out a new one.

Good luck with your decision, I had the same dilemma last year.. 1299 in my garage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was trying to find a review on the s1000rr and seems to be three gens it looks mainly the front end changes on appearance and exhaust.
    Thanks for the feed back guys, coming from the 899, I just couldn't push for the 1299 due to my budget :(
    But I thought the 1299 would have been harder on daily riding as it was a more track designed bike?

6. 1299 is more refined and has a better spread of power than the 1199 buddy.

The current BMW is a fair bit improved over the previous gen's in my opinion and many people's to be honest. But I find the panigales hugely rewarding albeit physical to ride.

What you using the bike for And what characteristics do you like/look for in a bike ? What about an rsv4?

7. Gen 2 S1000rr's start from 2012 i believe, you can tell if its a gen 2 by the little wings being actually bolted on just up near the front nose section / top of side panel.

2012' + had a better spread of torque and a few other refinements

Gen 3 are the lastest bunch which have a headlight shape change and again a few other tweaks/additions.

If we're talking a budget, and an absolute requirement for bomb proof riding, id go for a decent condition used Gen 2 from a BMW dealer i reckon.

It'll still have a QS and heated grips as standard, bet money on that.

Also if you buy from a BMW dealer they'll give you 24 months full warranty, even if its a 2nd hand bike as it'll be 'approved', servicing is pretty cheap as well and the mileage doesn't have as much an effect on residual value IMO

If you bought a BMW privately then places like Warranty Direct will still give you cover for about £240 a year, you would need to double that on any Panigale or Aprilia, i know as i was looking recently because Ducati dealers couldn't offer me anything extended which i found stupid.

Again, it depends on what you want from the bike.

Are we talking commuting everyday? Sunday blasts? Trackdays?

All 3?

Obviously your on a Ducati forum so most will say Panigale which i fully understand, hell Id have one myself but thats because i haven't owned one yet.

Nearly went for a new 1299 but kinda got side tracked an bought a KTM 1290 SD SE :)

Not much help are we :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. As said I have both and have spent a bit of time on the 1299 on road and track as well. I think it depends on what you will use it for and your general mentality.

The 1199 (S in my case) is quite a raw race bike but if you are in good shape and ride it pretty hard it can definitely be used for long journeys with comfort. I took mine 3500 miles to south Italy the week I bought it. I actually find it more comfy than the 2015 S1000RR because there is more leg room. On the S1000RR you are sitting quite deep in the bike ,much like a GSXR1000 K5 that they have based it on, so it tends to hurt my knees more.

On the other hand the BMW has a super smooth engine that will happily chug through the city in comfort which the Panigale is pretty horrible for. Cruise control might sound silly on a bike but it's a god send in speed limited zones when you need to stay at 30 or 40 miles an hour for cameras. This is really tiring on the Panigale. The engine on the S1000RR is stupendous, a do everything beast. It's noticeably faster than the 1199, and comparable to the 1299 which has a shed load more low down torque.

The BMW feels like a big whale compared to the Panigale, especially on track, so if you like light weight 'race bike' then the Panigale is a no brainer. The Panigale is beautiful in side to side direction changes and I love the feeling from the front wheel in fast corners. The BMW feels top heavy with it's inline four engine. It does turn a bit sharper than the Panigale, but the Pani is so much quicker and easier to get on it's side that this makes up for the turning circle.

The best all rounder is the 1299 for sure, they really hit the nail on the head with that one. I choose the 1199R just because I had the cash from being made redundant and it was mostly for track but the 1299 wins as an all rounder in good weather. It would be interesting to try the BMW with race fairings and exhaust to remove the weight but I still can't see it coming near to the Pani for agility which is what it's all about in my book plus you've then lost some of the BMW strong points on the road anyhow. On track I always choose the Panigale.

The one thing the BMW is definitely better at is crap weather and general commuting type work. It's incredibly good in the rain and the lower price means you don't mind abusing it quite the same as the shiny sexy Panigale. That said I still don't take the BMW out in bad weather unless I have to, and I think the 1299 electronics are probably a match for the BMW in the rain now.

9. Thanks for the details! I didn't realise the dealer was offering that, I'll look for a dealer, I think the oxford one is about 40mins.
    I'll check and see what they have

10. Thanks Royalwithcream, I use it as my main vehicle, so everything including a couple of track days a year if I get they time.
    So you own s1000rr and a Panigale? Nice!
    I had an 899 previously and even though it's a baby version of the full litre bikes, I still really enjoyed it, I was put off buying it again after the theft.

But am considering the scrambler retro cafe racer as a second bike, don't tell the missus :p

How much did the generations compare in differences to ride? On the BMW

11. They have a 15 plate up for OK money and a slightly older one too...don't ask me how I know...

This damn thread has started me looking at these again!! :fearscream:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haha yeah the garage has got a bit crazy. I got made redundant and didn't want to waste the payoff on crazy stuff like a house deposit or savings, so I did the sensible option and spent it all on bikes for future security :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1

13. Yeah do it!!

14. I like your priority! I wouldn't have done it any differently :)

15. Hi all, thought I'd pitch in as I had a 1000rr and changed it for a 1299. I thought the BM was a good bike, but just lacked any soul. Difficult to define I know, but the 1299 just has something special about it that was definitely missing with the BMW. I reckon day to day work horse probably BMW, otherwise Ducati. Good luck

16. Not owned the S100RR but took one for a test ride (latest model). I have to say I didnt like it at all to ride compared to the pani and that's without even starting on the looks.

17. No debate for me. The Panigale is drop dead gourgeous and has the unmistakable Italian style

18. Completely agree, the Panigales have something special that's definitely missing from the BMW. I can never put my finger on exactly why but the whole time I've owned the BMW I've had ideas of trading it in for something a bit more sexy. One thing that did make it a lot more desirable was putting an akro and the HP racing levers and rear sets on it. That stuff isn't needed on the Pani but it made a big difference to the rather plain standard BMW. Taking it out for a (very) fast road ride always makes me fall for it again but it just doesn't tug the heart strings like the Panigale. The Pani is on the other side of the line, its sexy and desirable in every way but is sometimes a bit much.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I haven't ridden a 1000rr but my 1299S feels too much at times, it's an absolute animal.
    After a good blast for a couple of hours, I feel like Ive been in the ring with Mike Tyson...except I have a big grin after it.

I'd say get a 1299!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information