1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale 899 Water Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by arnoldpraesent, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Hello

Who does know what the whole in the motor block is used for? What does it mean if cooling water is coming out of this hole.
    The engine has 1500km on the odo - 500km on track. Within this 500km I have lost the 1/2 of the cooling water in the cooling water reservoir.
    It's on the left engine side... Between the cylinders.

Any idea?

Br Arnold

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. expect it is water pump failure

3. Ok thank you for your comment, what makes you thinking so? The engine temperature is always fine according Ducati dda...
    Getting to the water pump I have to remove the clutch cover, right? :-(... Would that mean that water is going into the engine oil, right? Which would cause serious issue in the engine. I have changed oil yesterday and have a look at the magnet of the drain screw... :-(. I'm not used to such metal fragments from my Japan made motorcycles. After 500km!!!!

image.jpeg

4. normally if the pump has failed it will throw coolant out of the blow hole, coolant won't have got into oil it will be an internal issue on the unit (complete pump only available) and yes its in the back of primary cover, that is normal amount of filings on drain plug

5. Sorry to bring an old thread back up but I searched and found this one as I have the same issue. The bike has 3700 Miles on it, went out of warranty on the 30th December and the same day I noticed the coolant. It's going in tomorrow to be looked at and the suspicion is the waterpump has failed. As stated above I am told that the hole is used to chuck out water that's leaking to stop it going into the oil.

I am really hoping it will be done as a goodwill fix especially as it was noted on the service that coolant was low; that was only 200 miles ago. I'll update the thread when I know what the issue is for sure as when I searched I found loads of references to the problem but not many definitive fixes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Assuming your bike has been looked after & serviced in accordance to manufacturers spec ( which I'm sure is the case) then I'm sure you will be ok regarding the goodwill element. You have a good case & there is usually a grace period.
    Hope you get it sorted:upyeah:

7. Yep, think it's had 3 services (2 annual and the 620 mile one, which it I think is more than it needed to have and all main dealer. The coolant was low when they serviced it while it was in warranty which indicates an issue IMHO. I won't name the dealer but they so far have been pretty helpful and got it booked in really quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information