1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peculiar tyre wear.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by timberwolf, Sep 9, 2013.

1. I am running Diablo supercorsa sp2's on the 1098. Whilst out yesterday my mate pointed out the fact that the front tyre was bald on the right hand side. The tyre has probably done around 1400 miles by myself. He thinks it been caused by riding roundabouts hard but I honestly don't think I am that good! Any other explanations? We then looked at the rear which was brand new when I purchased the bike 1400 miles ago and can see lots of little circular rubber bungs about 2mm across. It appears they are part of the manufacturing process? I have had many bikes and never managed to wear a front tyre slick just on one side before. I do also notice that the front wheel lifts much easier than any inline four I have owned.

2. I believe there are different compounds available for these tyres, you might have a soft on the front, hence why its worn so quickly.

either that or something could be out of alignment.

3. Didn't someone else on here have that problem recently? Can't remember what the outcome was though.

4. The thing is, the tyre is fine everywhere else, not even any sign of it squaring off yet. Its just bald on the right side.

5. Was the tyre on the bike when you bought it? Its possible its had some track use though i would have thought that would be fairly obvious just from looking at it.

Ducati sportsbikes do tend to wear the front quicker than the rear.

6. image perhaps ??

7. We did cover this not so long ago.

a. roundabouts only go right
    b. road camber affects the right side of the tyre only
    c. you may prefer right handers and therefore go quicker/lower/harder on a right

If the tyre you're running has worn more than previous tyres, it's probably because it's softer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Some good replies but nothing that seems to fit to be honest. I have run Metzeler racetec soft fronts on my litre bike in the past and never seen anything like this. As I said, I am no roundabout demon lol. The tyre was virtually new when I purchased the bike. The tyre is perfect elsewhere. I will try and upload a pic or two when I get home.

9. Rubbing on front hugger?

10. its been a right off and the frames as bent as michael barrymore

• Like Like x 1
  11. +1 Check whether the clearance is very tight to forkleg/mudguard and check for any signs of rubber dust.

Even if wheel is free to turn at standstill, tyre will 'grow' slightly at speed, so could be rubbing somewhere, especially if a spacer (does the front have any spacer?) (maybe being a bit old school here...) has been omitted or if its possible for the wheel to be put back slightly to one side after the last tyre change... would that also cause issues with brakes/calipers, or can it be done so that the pistons adjust to allow the wheel to be slightly off centre?

#11 Borgo Panigale, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. Ah ! eureka ,turn it round. :biggrin:

13. Also check the wheel bearings and make sure the wheel isn't wobbling.

14. I see it quite often and consensus seems to be road camber..... Makes sense and not really been able to attribute it to much else across such a wide variety of bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks all, I will have a good look tonight and try to get some pics posted.

16. Come and ride on the continent! Then you can wear the other side.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ironically i have just been out on my Multi and when i got back i had a close look at the tyres and he front on mine is the same.There is plenty of tread left on the centre of the tyre but the right hand side is getting close to the limit.

18. My 999 front tyre is gone on the right hand side, mind you I like ragging around roundabouts and right handers are better for KD :smile:.

OGR

19. Are you a fat bloke and sit with you right arse cheek on the seat..?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information