1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol Stain On Tank

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Jim2wheels, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Just got a message from my pal who has most likely overfilled his petrol tank and woke up this morning to some unsightly streaks on the tank of his white 848.

Any tips? I've suggested wd40, then T cut. I'm heading off to see him shortly so hoping I can cheer him up with a solution to his woes.

2. It sounds daft, seeing as fuel has caused the staining, but you could try a little fuel on a rag and wipe over the stain. Then wash the tank.

3. I've seen that mentioned but wanted to get some advice from known quantities!

Cheers, we'll give it a go this afternoon.

Pic below.
    [​IMG]

4. Good to see an image & hope it gets cleaned off in a simple cheap manner.

5. I had the same thing when I had a white 848. Clay bar and some zymol lifted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Looks to me as though the petrol spillage has taken some light dirt off the surface and then as it's evaporated has left a grubby residue. so, a wipe down with a petrol-moistened rag seems like the way to go...

7. T cut would work but a milder wax polish would be bettet

8. Thanks for all your replies folks. I got to the meet up point by St Albans and had a message that he binned it - a day to forget for that poor soul. Petrol tank stains are the least of his problems!

He's fine but it's a borderline write off as it was brimming with bling. It's all cosmetic so you never know with insurers. Told him to buy it back if they do and sell it on to someone who wants a track bike. Structurally it's in good shape, but nose, lights, left fairing all the way, bent left peg, scuffed tail.

9. I feel for him. :(

10. Buy some Farcela G3....its the mutts nuts.Will take that off no problemo

11. It won't do much with the bent foot peg and scratched tail unit though. :Wideyed:

#11 Robarano, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thats Shitesville :confuse:

13. Bugger!!! Poor Chap....feel for him, just glad he's OK

• Like Like x 1
  14. Always worth adding a picture for interest! He stuffed it into the back of van that had to do an emergency stop. Reckons he lost a bit of reaction time as he was trying to see what was behind him through the stooopid mirrors these bikes have.
    [​IMG]

15. I hope he gets it sorted as painlessly as possible Jim.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheers Rob.

If it was me I'd push for a write off, crashed bikes are rarely 100% the same from my experience. He's pretty attached to it though so he wants it repaired.

On the plus side he can get the tank stain fixed on the insurance if they don't write it off.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information