1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking Up My 848evo Thursday

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by slinky848, Feb 13, 2017.

1. might be jumping the gun as i dont even have my duc yet,

just bought an 848evo with lots of bells and whistle on it [emoji16]

wondered if anyone has anything be it good or bad about these, will be my first sportbike. cant wait!!

nice to meet you all [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Mate, welcome!

My first bike 24 months ago was and still is a 848 Evo! every time i throw my leg over the bike it puts a smile on my face... never missed a beat once
    get home on Friday to pick it up from the garage, had full service, belts, and i have some shiny things to fit to it (QS, Levers...) took it to the IOM TT in 2015 after only riding it about 4 times from passing my test... shit my pants going over the mountain course as fast as i dared!! its definitely more than quick enough for anyone's first bike :grin:

you will love every second of the 848

What extras does it come with ?

3. titax levers, loads if carbon, acropovic half system, ducati performance ecu, ducati slipper clutch, upgraded ohlins rear, ohlins internals front, ohlins steering damper(not sure if standard) hel braided brake lines, lighter battery?
    got renthal rear sproket, need to count the teeth to be honest, pillion cowling, service book says timing belt and full service was at 3500miles, currently 5580 miles on it

its not my first bike, keeping my kwaka 650er6f for rainy days, but its by far the most insane bike ive owned [emoji106][emoji106]

4. Some nice mods you got there! i don't recall seeing an ohlins stamp on my steering damper on my Evo so it may also be upgraded as is the rest of your suspension
    sounds like a few quid of extras on the bike :sunglasses: you will have to upload some pictures when you pick it up...

5. i sure will, im not sure if its too loud, its almost offensive, i live it, but not sure my town will [emoji23] ordered a db sensor to see what its putting out, (also to check if i can track it as is.

you have any tips regarding 848 general living with, etc etc.

6. Well done Dave, and welcome :)

7. My 848, also my first sportsbike, has no steering damper and does not need one at all, it never tries to shake its head. I find it funny that people add them to bikes that don't need one and then fit a lightweight battery to try and save weight.
    The bike is a joy to ride and puts a smile on my face every time I get it out of the garage, I do dislike having to ride through built up areas despite a 14 tooth front sprocket and would not be too happy on a long journey in hot weather on it. I will probably never sell it now that I have the Ducati 250 for pottering around.

8. all in all, i dont really understand steering dampers, im a mechanic, i understand damping, and it stops the handlebars turning/shaking iraticly, but in my head its almost a bad thing to have than a good, i think i might need to check suspension is setup correctly. throughout, im only 65kgs so high chance its going to be set too hard for me

9. im guessing the fork internals, rear shock and damper came as some kind of package

10. I find it calms the front of my Streetfighter. Wheelies aren't the problem, but when the front starts to go light and there's a bit of movement I can feel the effect of the damper.

• Like Like x 1
  11. so the damper does what against that, lessens the wobble amount? slows the wobble,

in my head to handle bars turn one way still, and the damper stops it from straightening again, which is bad [emoji28]

12. I would think that the SBK and the streetfighter are different enough to have different requirements for a steering damper. When you accelerate like a nutter, and with the front wheel still on the ground, feel the bars starting to shake then you might need a steering damper just incase it gets worse.
    Trouble is that they are for sale and so many people want to adorn their bikes with bling (think Hardly Davidson) that people buy and fit them for the wrong reasons.

13. I have my first track day on the 4th march, I have a spare set of DB killers for sale if your after a set? For slash cut termis?

I haven't come up against anything yet that needs more attention than anything else or any little niggles, as I say it's been spot on.

I am having my suspension set up on the 25th Feb before my track day, it feels good to me as it is but for £40 it's worth a punt

14. I think the front geometry is the same Bob, but don't quote me on that. The bike does feel lighter at the front than my old 1098S SBK due to the higher bars and seating position. Ducati themselves thought to fit a longer swing arm to the Streetfighter to keep the front down, although curiously no steering damper to the SF 848.

A steering damper on any Harley is ridiculous with the forks kicked out in front so far. :D Although Ducati owners can hardly slag anybody off for buying unnecessary bling. :)

15. its got an acropovic on it atm. might need to source a new end can just to get the baffle

16. Justa having higher bars on an identical bike can cause it to need a steering damper.

17. I sourced some a couple of weeks ago as it won't pass the noise test at oulton park without it.... must be some kicking about for Akra cans somewhere online

Oh yeah on steering dampers, my bike got a right wobble on up on the mountain section at the TT .. and the damper seemed to do hold strong ... god knows what it would have been like without it!

18. im really unsure wether to track it the first summer i have it, would be brands hatch if i did, would only be a novice group. have to see how comfortable i adjust to the seating position at first

19. ive pinned my er6f (650 twin) for the last 2years, never had a wobble, are sportsbikes more prone to it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. That was the only time it's happened mind you in 2 years, me and a mate are booked on the novice day also to get us going

Do Not Sell My Personal Information