1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirro defends Ducati move

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by Ducati News, Dec 27, 2012.

1. michele-pirro-a-dedie-sa-victoire-a-son-compatriote-marco-si.jpg

Italian racer Michele Pirro has defended his decision to join Ducati as a test racer. Many people have commented and criticized Pirro for taking what they perceived to be a backwards step in his career however the 2011 Valencian Community motorcycle Grand Prix winner insists that, far from going backwards in his career, his move to Ducati will instead work out better for him in the long term.

I live for racing, it's true, and I can't race now, but this is a chance to understand if I can become a winner.- Michele Pirro

This will be the first time in nearly a decade that the San Giovanni Rotondo born racer will be without a full time racing schedule however it does not seem to be too daunting for the 26 year old.It was announced earlier on in the month that Pirro would get three wildcard starts in the 2013 MotoGP season for Ducati and the Italian is hoping that these will pay off in the long run for him both in terms of success and also with his credibility. Last season he finished what is deemed 'best of the rest' as he came behind Aleix Espargaro and Randy de Puniet in the CRT class for Gresini however, in 2013, Pirro is hoping to compete for 'something important' in a few select racers as opposed to spreading himself too thin over the course of a season.

I prefer to do fewer races, but doing them with the right support. I'm looking for credibility, and I'm determined to take advantage of every chance - even the smallest one - Ducati grant me.- Michele Pirro

The move itself is only designed to be a temporary one for 2013 and the Italian has reiterated his desire to get back to the full time circuit by the time 2014 comes around. His stint with Ducati as a test driver will allow him to compete as a wildcard at Jerez, Mugello and Misano and it is here that Pirro will be hoping to show everyone that he can make the step up and improve his image and showcase his talent too.

In fact, the move itself has further raised the debate of the status of CRT with some claiming the Pirro's move further belittles the status of the CRT's. Furthermore, it has also been mooted that, should Pirro prove himself when he does get the chance to perform for Ducati, then a full time opportunity with Pramac may be on the cards come 2014.

michele-pirro-a-dedie-sa-victoire-a-son-compatriote-marco-si.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information