1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Cream_Revenge, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Hey.

Is it possible to remove a scratch from a screen/wind shield?

CR

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Yes, both Acrylic and Polycarbonate can be polished.

• Like Like x 1
  3. As above, if the scratch is not too deep then it is possible and ideally you need to use a buffing machine as it's going to be likely to be difficult to remove it by hand rubbing.

You could try looking at car headlamp polishing kits as they should contain light compounds more suited to this type of job.

car headlight polishing set | eBay

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ok so it's like polishing out a scratch in clear coat.

I take it there is no way to fill a deeper scratch with something like they use to repair car windscreen?

• Like Like x 1
  5. This make work but you would need to be very careful about using it and not overfill.

You do really don't want any material that is harder to polish out than the plastic itself.

Glue 'n' Glaze - Deluxe Materials

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'd this true for tinted/dark screens too? Is the tint "in" the screen or on top?

Cheers

7. For deeper scratches in Perspex that won't just polish out, Micro-Mesh do kits that are a good option. The process looks brutal but the result can be perfect given enough time and effort.

8. Just use wet & dry. If not too deep, start at 1000 and work you way through different grits until 2000.
    I got an old screen which was badly marked / scratched and came up mint, just like new. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

#10 bettes, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  9. Anyone know of tinted screens are the same though?

10. The one I cleaned up was light tinted. The tint's inside the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information