1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power coating

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by comfysofa, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Ive never understood why the hyper had a silver subframe so I thought id set about sorting it out, so its getting coated - red preferably, probably black (see how it matches up with what he's got when I get there.....

IMG_2888c.jpg
    Thought it was going to take hours but got there in about an hour without having to get the tank off but I strongly suspect the tank will be coming off to get it back on....
    IMG_2890c.jpg
    Not difficult really - just thought id give you all something to look at.....
    IMG_2889c.jpg
    And heres whats getting coated.....
    IMG_2894c.jpg
    Should only take a couple of days to get coated (powder coaters is only a couple of miles away....)
    IMG_2892c.jpg
    Ill throw some more pics up when its back together.....

IMG_2888c.jpg

IMG_2890c.jpg

IMG_2889c.jpg

IMG_2894c.jpg

IMG_2892c.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. You gping to get your new tail tidy done too?

3. Dunno.... Maybe.... The idea is that you can't see it so it shouldn't matter too much.... If everyone wants them coated I will but the price would have to go up... Not by much though....plus if people want to bend them around a little to get the plate at the angle they want then the powder coating may crack...I was just trying to keep it simple...as I say/said the fabricator can be exact down to the mm but due to the way that the pipes are designed (ie the mounting holes look like theyre going to differ from pipe to pipe) I/we were thinking not to bother putting holes in there atall so people could drill their own but if its coated then that may/would get damaged.

#3 comfysofa, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Well - its back together but they got the red wrong (even after I took a panel down) so, its close but my wife is a dental technician for a job and can tell the difference between 100 shades of white so she said it may as well be blue....so I think its going to be redone black... IMG_20131101_160325005.jpg

Hangers
    IMG_20131101_160331533.jpg

IMG_20131101_160325005.jpg

IMG_20131101_160331533.jpg

5. Yes its very very slightly darker. Black subbie would look good tho. :upyeah: Altho to be fair it still looks pretty good. :)

6. It looks the same to me :upyeah:

but then I am Red Green Colourblind...

7. Yeah - itll do for now - I wanted to get it all back together before I take a large hammer to the bathroom tomorrow (have to make good on my remit for getting the thing in the first place) - I owe her a bathroom....

8. You wont get a colour match with a red. For that its a paint only job. If you have it shot-blast a can of acid etch primer and a rattle can of anniversary red? from ebay and some petrol resistant high temp lacquer will see it spot on.

Easy enough DIY job and great fun!

Thats the weirdest placement of a battery ive ever seen. Suppose its pretty good seeing how slim the bike is.

9. Thanks.... I'd make pigs ear of.... I'm gonna go with black.... Couple of weeks though...

10. Strange but just went out into the garage to look for the ball bearing that pinged out while I was trying to put the foot peg back in last night.....amazing but I found the ball bearing but even more amazing is that the sub frame matches the red of the evotech clutch cover which lessens the blow a little....

11. Did you have to take the tank off to get the frame back on?

12. No. Bit of a fiddle but not too bad. Reckon I could get the sub frame off in less than an hour.... Oh tidy complete... Posted in the other thread... Should have some next week.... Soon as I do the republique one is going on ebay my design holds the plate much higher.... Quite chuffed with the result....

13. Posted some pics.... Which are in focus!

14. Red powder coat always looks orange.

A nice satin black covering will look good.

15. thats because the generic red powder coat RAL is post office red which is orange compared to ducati red.. getting the correct red in powder is a special order mix and generally they have to buy lots of it.....id go with black.....

16. Well at least we all get to learn from your misfortune.

17. Yup.... That's what a forum is for.... Just that I'm on the arse end this time..... It can wait for the moment....

18. It was too much.... Went out in garage and took it off again...... Down the coaters tomorrow at the crack of noon...

19. Black…..you know it makes sense….

20. Yup.... You know it... Didn't help as my wife is a dental technician so she can tell 100 different shades of white.... Looked at it for less than a second and said "you may as well have done it fucking blue...." up to that point I was trying to convince myself it was OK..... It was then, I decided it was coming off again...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information