1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 600ss

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by sharksqb16, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Mine went halfway across the garage.

I had a puller on it wound up very tight and was warming it up gently with a blowtorch.

I was so glad I didn't have my hand and the blowtorch in front of it when it let go.
    The consequences of the lit blowtorch setting light to something else as it flew out of my hand don't bare thinking about.

Nasher

2. I no what you er saying but what a re leaf when it came off, now i can get on and strip the rest of the engine and strip and clean casings

3. Having split engine and cleaned, going to strip paint off later or tomorrow. having removed crankcase gasket i seem to remember readying on a forum here that ducati no longer do crankcase gaskets or did i imagine this. Anyone suggest a good place to get seals and gaskets from or do I just go to local Ducati dealer for these. Thanks

4. Been busy today stripping paint off crankcases, on examining cases saw that mounting holes have been drilled or elongated going to have to sort this, chemical metal and drill so right size, always something.

P3050012.JPG

P3050013.JPG

P3050018.JPG

P3050014.JPG

P3050015.JPG

P3050016.JPG

P3050017.JPG

5. just loading these pic,s in right forum.
    On another note, Monday sent off for complete gasket set for 600ss, £63.00 p+p, from Germany which showed it had all engine gaskets as well ie: clutch etc. like Vesrah sets i get for other engine rebuilds, not seen one for ducati 600, it turned up today which in its self was quick. Open up package all that came was something like the Athena complete gasket set which has a few more seals etc, which is not much better than a top end build gasket set. Dose any one no a good sours for gasket sets for ducati's. or am i just going to get them from ebay or ducati. To me a complete gasket set should be that, like when i get them for motocross/enduro bikes or Jap multi's. Moan over, any info would be helpful thanks.

P4170002.JPG

P4170003.JPG

6. I done some work on a 900ss last year. Ducati didn't supply the few gaskets that I needed. Had to use Three Bond.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Bit work this weekend clean, stripped, rubbed down & primed swingarm. Was the worst one of the two i have. Hopefully the frame should be back soon, from mate's body shop being sprayed red, thinking of doing the swingarm in a gunmetal

P5210006.JPG

P5210003.JPG

P5230002.JPG

P5230004.JPG

P5290002.JPG

P5290003.JPG

8. Crumbs (for want of a better word) the swingarm I took off my 750 that went with the spares when I sold the whole lot was in a damn sight better shape than yours!

9. Crumbs indeed
    Like I said this was the worst one which is a 600ss, looked a lot worse than it was mostly grease, peeling paint & surface rust, the other one I have is from a 750ss which is in a lot better condition, could have gone down the easy route, used 750 one but I like a challenge. It cleaned up very well and looks good now, well to me any way, It will look even better when painted.

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  10. Red frame means black swing arm imo :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thinking White body work with red and green pin strips as tri colour or may be silver body work? but there is no full faring just half and single seat unit, then what colour wheels? so many decision :cold_sweat:

12. Not sure how silver and red would work. Black frame may give you far more options :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Personally silver & red looks good if you get the right colour combination preferably the right silver. Then the old MV's racing colour's and old Honda six racing colours where red & silver and a thread on here i think called Crash damaged project has a red frame with what i would call a high gloss battle ship grey body work, looks the dogs bollocks to me, would never thought of them colour's together. But another mans meat is another mans poison.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frame back, still undecided about black swingarm or silver, not done any thing to the silver one still original at mo. Any input, I no at the end of the day it's what rocks my boat

P6070001.JPG

P6070005.JPG

P6070003.JPG

P6070004.JPG

15. Silver better, black too stark IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Have to agree with expired, silver looks a lot better in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. To my mind the black makes it look heavier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Any pics of the underseat exhaust setup?

19. Not to hand. If you google deamodue race bikes and check images you’re bound to find some, SS work well and quite a few around 2009-2014 had them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. It all looks great and admirable that your doing as much as you can yourself....after 30 years of pulling stuff to pieces ive found that rattle cans are no match for either Xylan, or Cerakote ( or powdercoating which i tend to still use but use less) as the first 2 are far superior while its in its component parts that would have been the best route but, i fully appreciate some budgets dont stretch that far... essentially the british weather is ruthless!

I look forward to more pics though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information