1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radial Front End On 996

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Vince Carlton, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Putting 1098 Showas' & monoblocs on 996 racebike, running 5 spoke Marche's which I used in the original 996 Showas'. but need 15mm offset on discs with the 6 bolt mounts. Any ideas ?

2. Use discs from R model or standard discs with 5mm spacers?

3. no idea at all other than get some pics up. We like pics. And hello and welcome dude

4. I'm running 10mm offset discs on my front ohlins suspension which run 15mm offset discs , All you have to do is put some washers in between the cailipers and fork leg to make up the 5mm . I'll get a picture up

5. I've two washers on each bolt so four on each caliper IMG_0470.JPG

6. That wont work with radial calipers (monoblocks) of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ooh yeah sorry doh

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here is a drawing for spacers. The drawing shows them at 2.5mm thickness. You could use 2 per disc or simply get them made at 5mm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. There's a few on ebay. opinions are divided as to whether they should be used or not.

10. Used disc spacers for years with no problems. Make sure bolts are right length to use all the threads in the wheel

11. When I was researching replacement 15mm offset discs a year or two back I found that Brembo make some in there 'Serie Oro' range for 748R - be careful though as some 748R had 10mm offset so you need to get the correct version.

I wouldn't use spacers as the discs are not held/centered by the wheel due to the flange on the wheel being less than 5mm so only the bolts are holding them, also if you are using the mechanical speedo drive then the 5mm spaced-out carriers will sit very close to the speedo drive/cable so that the mounting bolt heads will likely foul something.

I've got Brembo HPK discs on mine (916 with 1198R Ohlins) but they stopped making the 15mm offset versions. Whilst mine are OK at the moment I wanted some spares in 'stock' because, well you never know what availability will be like in the future? which is when I found the 'Serie Oro' but then I happened upon some OEM Ducati 748R so bought those as my backup.

Other option is to get a later 999/1098 etc. wheel with the 5 bolt carriers as you then have no problem finding discs...

12. The link contains a number of posts and I think it is the last post that points at a couple of options. As Dukedesmo has said, Brembo Serie Ore still do the 748R disc (at a price). Of no immediate use to you, I am looking for another front wheel for my track wets and have a set of 15mm offset discs in 5 and 6 hole. Depending on the front wheel I finally get, I'll have a spare set of 5 or 6 hole discs going spare. Andy

13. Let me know what you end up with Andy, cheers.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information