1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Rear Swingarmd Upgrade??

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Alain Mengoli, Feb 14, 2017.

1. HIya, new to the forum . I have a heavily modified 996, 1098 engine, carbong fairings, 848 forks with butubo cartridges and I was wanting to know if anyone swapped the rear end to lengthen it a bit. I have seen the magensium swingarms and cut and weld one sbut I heard someone using another swingarms besides the 1098 one anyone know?

2. No idea, but why don't you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section Dave :)

3. Lol I better do wouldn't want to piss off El Toro :kissingheart:...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. i did hear of a carbon swing arm once but cant remember if it was just for the 1098/1198 or if you can get them for the 916 series.

5. Febur do a mag one.

6. I think I remember someone on here telling of how the 1098 Streetfighter S/Arm is longer??

7. Like this?
    SAM_0892.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. I have a Fast By Ferracci mag. swingarm on my 916. It's lengthened by 20mm or so to max out on handling. As a result standard rear huggers don't fit, not as though that bothers me much, also you need to keep it oiled up to prevent corrosion.

9. Bit of info for you ; From what I can gather, The RS swing arm has a different mounting piont for the shocker and you would need the top rocker to suit. The Febur swing arm is the same length as the RS one (20mm longer than standard - me thinks), but the pivot point for the shocker is the same geometry as the standard and thus the original top rocker can be used. I think Febur did this so that buyers could just bolt it on without going to major expense of top rocker and major suspension set up. ( the info above about the differences of the swing geometry is taken from the 2 mag swing arms I have here - one RS and one Febur) Hope this helps.

10. Oh, forgot to say I have also put a 1198 swing arm in a 998, That in itself brings a few challenges with suspension geometry. But once done works great (and is longer than the standard swing arm. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information