1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Rear Wheel - Doesn't Turn!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by RickyX, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Whilst I am loving fettling with my new-to-me 1098R and am making great progress with the mods and rebuild...I am beginning to dislike the previous owner!

Removed the wheels at the weekend as I had bought some lovely new Metzeler Racetecs 120/70 and 190/55 ZR17's (standard sizes) to replace the shagged out Michelin Power things it came with..
    Got new tyres fitted today to the loose wheels.
    Popped into the shed after work to slip them on (I always worry that a bike suspended on stands with no wheels is an accident waiting to happen/ recipe for disaster!).
    Front on - fine.
    Rear on - what's this, it won't go on! It bumps into the back of the swing arm by the shock and won't rotate!
    Basically, the tyre profile is too large for the space!

I reckon that the previous owner has fitted a chain that is too short, although the eccentric is at approx 6:30 position looking from the chain side.
    It has a 525 chain and 14T/38T sprockets.
    I need to count the links to check - manual says: 97 links + joining link. How many "pins" is that?

Looks like I have a couple of options:
    Get a new chain (need to check the links)
    Fit a smaller tyre

Can't think what else it might be although I would have expected enough clearance with the eccentric at 6:30 position (my 916 is at about 8:00 and has no clearance issues).

Anybody else had clearance issues with the 190/55 tyre?

In a word: bastard.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wemoto are doing 15% off DID till end of March.

I've had the 996 for 15 months now and still discovering thing, this weekend it was when I removed the screen a lump had broken off and was held in by the well nut. 2nd hand bikes are full of surprises.

At least you'll know she is spot on when you are done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Got a new 190/55 on my 1198 no problems ... 190/55 is the stock size so you shouldn't have problems

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Got a Supercorsa 190/55 on mine and no issues and also new chain. When I can comfortably bend down, I'll count chain links. Did you get the Racetech RR or the Raceteck Interact ? I've got a pair of both and the profiles are different. Again when I can move without feeling as if I'm going to pass a kidney stone as a muscle in my back spasms, I'll measure size differences. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Just counted the pins on the chain: 96 pins. That means 48 visible side plates.
    Books says 97 links +join link....how many pins is that??
    Tyre is a Racetec Interact K1 190/55ZR17 from FWR.
    Looks like I will be calling B&C Express tomorrow...

6. That wasn't pleasant but at least it got me off my arse. 49 side plates and the Interact is a fraction wider than the SC and RR so I reckon the combination of a short chain and a fractionally wider tyre is the problem. Get the right length chain and you will be good to go. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Thanks Andy! What gearing do you have? 15/38 standard?
    I will have a chat with B&C tomorrow and get their advice on links etc.

8. So I'm guessing that as I had a new front sprocket and Renthal q/r rear sprocket fitted when MR serviced it, Craig would have given the workshop standard bits so yes 15/38. Andy

9. Thanks guys.
    Looking at the swing arm, the paint is removed where the tyre has obviously been rubbing previously!
    When I bought it, the guy told me it had a new rear disc and caliper - I asked why and he didn't know. I mean, why would you need a new disc and caliper on a 5000mile old bike?? I reckon these things may be connected somehow?

10. New disk and calliper? Poorly adjusted rear master cylinder. Brake starts to bind as the bike warms up, which causes more heat, and so it binds more and more until something melts (a calliper piston). By then third disk is blue with tempering as well. Been there, done that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I would check the wheel alignment, if everything is standard (chain length, sprocket size and tyre size) then something deeper is going on. I hope that you check it and it's fine but if not then the swing arm could be bent.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I'm pretty sure it's the chain that is too short - 96 links as opposed to 98 standard.
    The eccentric is too far forward so the clearance is reduced to sweet F.A.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. If you have a smaller front sproket the chain could be shorter, maybe the guy has gone the wrong way towards 12noon?! Seen it before on 996...whats the ride height bar like?

14. I missed that it's had a shorter chain fitted :Facepalm:... I think the previous owner needs a facepalm too, he must have known the tyre was rubbing.

15. It's a 2 halfer. Does it say Honda on the tank? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Honcati

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ricky - did you say that the eccentric hub was at 6.30 position? Isn't the 1098 supposed to go from 6 to 3 as you look at it from the chain side?
    Maybe the eccentric wasn't set right after a chain/sprocket change and the owner decided to chop a link or two out...

18. Yes, approx 6:30 viewed from chain side - approximately 195degrees from zero (12o'clock).

I agree that it should be in the 90degree to 180degree quadrant (equal to 3o'clock to 6 o'clock position).
    I have shelled out on a new 98link chain plus Renthal Q/R carrier and sprockets...
    This was not budgeted however some b...... rang me from Las Vegas at 12:30 last night with a broken Jumbo Jet so I will be able to claim some unbudgetted income to compensate. Swings n' Roundabouts.

#19 RickyX, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Haha! Wasn't me, honest! Wrong route :p

Do Not Sell My Personal Information