1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear wheel removal

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by johnv, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I can't find whether the big nut holding on the rear wheel of the Multistrada 1200 is right or left hand thread.

Does anyone know which it is ?

2. If its like the rest, can't imagine it isnt, its a normal thread not one of thos horribe reverse ones

3. It is a normal thread, but you may need a breaker bar to loosen it...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys, I didn't want to get stuck in and then wonder whether I was trying to turn it the wrong way !

5. John, just had mine off and it took 4 of them and the longest wrench you have ever seen. They were convinced it was a reversed thread but it was just so f***ing tight!!!!

6. I bought an impact power tool just to get mine off, can take a few whacks to shift

7. I bought a 24" breaker bar from Halfords today which along with my socket from Oberon will hopefully do the job if required. 230Nm to tighten so I hope that me on the end of 24" will do the business.

Incidentally this all came about from a puncture the other day which I plugged but my local Ducati dealer can't look at until next week. I want to be able to whip the wheel off and take it elsewhere if required. The puncture repair seems 100% solid though.

8. If its solid why change? If he plug is good you can normally wear it out :)

9. Don't rely on the Oberon tool - tried one and it broke big style - now have a chrome vanadium socket and a metre long breaker bar and an impact wrench!!!

10. Just buy a decent socket from E Bay, I bought a Draper pro one for £22, 3/4 drive. I wouldn't trust any of those E Bay "special" tools. Use a Clarke 240v impact wrench (£59) and you're done. Or a big bar!! Don't put the bike in gear but get a mate to stand on the brake lever.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I kind of think you might be right.

The puncture was in one of the grooves of the tyre so the outside is protected to some extent so the plug is unlikely to fail but for the sake of £20 or so for a proper repair why take the chance ?

12. What size is the socket for the rear wheel? is it by any chance the same as the 996 i.e 46 mm?

13. 55mm I think

14. They're fine if used with respect/some care....a 55mm chrome vanadium 3/4" drive socket is better. And I eventually ended up with a 3 foot breaker bar!! :upyeah:

Have a look here ;-)
    What's your thoughts on this!? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Tips:
    - Sparay WD40 round the wheel nut a while before trying to undo....it does help
    - use plenty of anti seize grease (e.g. Coppaslip [copperslip]) on the axle threads for reassembly
    - you need to take the exhaust can off to get the wheel out

Yes, torque to 230Nm! :eek:

15. I didn't keep the packaging from the Oberon tool but I seem to recall that use with impact wrenches and air guns was specifically excluded.

IMHO critical components should always be correctly torqued and if a dealership can't be bothered to do that then you have to question whether they are worth using. Also whether or not the tapper was greased prior to assembly would affect the ease with which it could be removed.

16. The Oberon tool broke when it was used with a long wrench not the impact wrench - they really are not up to the job, you need a stainless steel socket. The Oberon tool just collapsed completely....you will find that mine is not an isolated case.

17. Ov time they just seem to tighten. I've done countless rear changes on different signle swingarm Ducatis and torq'd correctly, yet still needs big bar or impact to get it off 6 months later!

18. They don't (shouldn't) actually tighten but just seem to 'seize' to some extent - easy way to tell if the nut has moved at all: jiggle the spring clip thingy, should move as when fitted, if not the nut has moved (extremely unlikely for the MTS12 at a torque of 230NM;-) ....and the spring clip would limit any movement to next to nothing?

19. why on earth should the tightening tourque be up as far as 230nm! The 996 etc has a torque of 174 Nm which itself is a huge force. What has changed greatly in the Multistrada design? was the 1098 etc that high?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information