1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ChrisDS, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Is there a definitive opinion on what type of coolant (concentrate or waterless) and manufacturer (Motul, Evans, etc.) is the most recommended?

If it makes a difference, I have a tuned 955SP engine which runs pretty hot in traffic and around town, it doesn't frequent race tracks and typically has shortish blats around the local area.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Use the type Ducati recommend. Which is pink, not blue.

If you are considering the Evans "waterless" type, I suggest you find out precisely what it consists of and how it differs from other coolants before going any further. Their website is long on vague boastful waffle, and short on actual facts or figures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. This is why I am asking about it, I have read some bad/dubious things about it.

The list of regularly mentioned coolants I have so far (not exhaustive by any means);

Motul MotoCool
    Motul Inugel
    Agip Permanent Spezial (Ducati recommended? but who sells it?)
    Shell Advance Coolant (Ducati recommended? but who sells it?)
    Castrol Motorcycle Coolant
    Silkolene Pro Cool
    Evans Waterless (have read bad things)

I am swayed to Motul MotoCool at the moment as it seems to tick my boxes, anyone have any experience of it?

4. If your bike runs hot then do not use Evans as it has a lower heat transfer than normal coolant and it will run hotter. I know this from aircraft engines that have tried it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Here we go again........:D

6. You have opened that can a few times haven't you :Finger::Wideyed:

7. And learnt my lesson. The lid is staying truly sealed on this one. This thread has all the potential to turn into "EU - take 2" :Wacky:

8. Looking at all the previous, incomplete discussion on coolant it's about time to put the subject to bed once and for all. :)

9. [​IMG]

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  10. You love it don't you :D

11. Coolant? Yeah, it keeps my engine from blowing up. :D

12. I'm with @Robarano, you likes what you likes and if it does the job what's to argue ? We speak as we find so having asked for advice, you can take it or leave it. The coolant used by Ducati during 2011 and 2012 in the Multistrada and Diavel was thought to be the best at the time but after a small number of bikes experienced corrosion, Ducati recommended something else which in time replaced the coolant across the range. Any modern premixed coolant offered with the right temperature range and the right type of corrosion inhibitants for the engine will do the job. If the bike is still under warranty, it makes sense to use what is recommended which currently is, IIRC, the Agip. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Motul Motocool it is then.

14. I use either the Agip or Motul. Nowt wrong with either. Motul is definitely easier to get a hold of.
    Motul do/did a coolant additive that helps reduce running temps by breaking down surface tension and allowing better heat transfer. Put it in a couple of bikes over the past and whilst it may not have hit its 'claimed' reduction in temp, it did help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. The thermostat still opens/closes at the same temperature and should regulate the temperature to the same degree whatever coolant you use. Wetting agents cannot affect the rate at which the radiator dissipates the heat and for road use are pretty pointless.
    On my bikes they always run at the control point of the thermostat except in town when the fans prevent overheating, with the system working it will not boil.
    Remember the bike is designed to control engine temperature in climates significantly hotter than the uk (like Italy in the summer).

16. I tend to view coolant like oil, get the one the manufacturer recomends and then change it every year. So far no issues.

17. But people have had issues doing just that :Wideyed:

18. They have? then I have been very lucky or they have been very unlucky. Fluids are relatively cheap and it doesn't take long to do, so I just do every year.

19. If you read the whole thread you would know as much as me :D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information