1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rossi disappointed with Ducati spell

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by Ducati News, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ducati-desmosedici-GP12-valentino-rossi.jpg
    When racing heavyweight Valentino Rossi made for pastures new and joined Ducati at the start of the 2011 season, the motorcycling world was waiting with baited breath for the, seemingly, inevitable success that the two would have together. After all, on the one hand you had a rider who has 9 Grand Prix World Championships under his belt and, on the other, you had a iconic racing company that had been in the business and had consistent success since the 1950's.Alas, it was not to be.

A few months ago a press release was given out that confirmed that the Italian racer was jumping the Ducati ship and heading back to Yamaha whom he had left for Ducati in 2010 and, more recently, he has expressed his disappointment and disillusionment at his 2 year stint with the Italian giants. It marked the end of a surprisingly barren spell for the 33 year old Italian who recorded his first winless season this year - pretty remarkable considering he achieved some 79 wins over the past 11 years.

They say that if you get through a difficult spell you get stronger. We'll have to see. In my opinion, it hasn't taught me anything.
    - Valentino Rossi

Rossi joined Ducati amongst some fanfare over 2 years ago. You had an iconic Italian racing superstar joining a successful Italian company; what could possibly go wrong? Indeed, at the time, many predicted a long and fruitful relationship between the two and the prospect of Rossi showcasing the GP11 and GP12 was mouthwatering to many observers.

Working with Valentino is one of the most exciting things for every engineer and it is good to know we will have this great opportunity next season.
    - Filippo Preziosi, 2010

However the dream was soon becoming a bit of a nightmare for both parties. A seventh place finish in the 2011 championship season and the first winless season for Rossi personally pretty much set the tone for his stay with Ducati. A victory in Le Mans in 2012 seemed to many to maybe be a turning point however it was extremely short lived and with more poor showings in Cataluyna, Silverstone and Assen the attention turned to the Gp 12 with Rossi famously exclaiming that "I'm not able to understand this bike, or to ride it."

So, what next for Ducati? No doubt some time for reflection will be taken however they have already snapped up Andrea Dovizioso, who will partner Nicky Haden, for the 2013 season . What about Rossi? Well, chances are that he is going to recapture the kind of form that has marked him out as one of the best riders in his generation; one thing is true however, with new ownership by Audi, the pressure is on Ducati in 2013 to get it right.

ducati-desmosedici-GP12-valentino-rossi.jpg

2. The art of stating the bleeding obvious :smile:

3. err no shit..................................................

4. Duke1276 disappointed with Aprilia spell

:upyeah:

5. i'll always be a duker ............................the black thing in the garden is a pond ornament

6. It's amazing how these forums keep you informed.

7. spell as 'period' or 'curse'?

8. Of all sorts of rubbish :-D

9. I hate to say it but Rossi ain't doing shit next season. I can see him just being a no.2 to Lorenzo.

10. Thanks for the feedback guys. These articles are now original and written specifically for Ducati Forum. Hopefully these will bring much more visitors to the site (rather than news feeds from other sites). This may have been an obvious article for many on here but there are thousands of visitors daily that may benefit from them (and sign up to the site).

Hopefully a win win situation!

Rob.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Looking forward to seeing you eat your words fella

12. What did Rossi and the dream team that "could sort the bike in 10 mins" do for Ducati......and i dont buy into the fact people will say they contributed to the bike sales either....they even struggled to sell the yellow tat.

But this is just Rossi and his PR machine trying to remind the public its all about him and nothing in the past was his fault......

when the flag drops............ you wanna be on the best machine.........not one you said you could sort, the manufacture bent over backwards changing stuff to appease you....and you still couldnt get it to work!

13. Remind me Andy how many world championships has Rossi one?

14. thats not the question though! The point im making is he didn't do anything for ducati and that press release along with the recent one where he is dissing stoner are just PR bull for the one eyed rossi fans:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. If one of the all time great riders and Jeremy Burgess couldent fix the Ducati then i recon it couldent be fixed. No bull shit there.

16. but hugh its not just a case of fix.........they rebuilt reconstructed altered changed a matter of everything.............apart from the engine shape:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. There is something wrong with the bike , Nicky Hayden had a few offs exactly the same place Rossi did. Face it the bikes crap. Maybe it is the engine but will Ducati change the shape?

18. but there was more than enough evidence to suggest that before he ever tarnished his record with it baylis capirossi, gibernau melandri even hayden............i genuinely believe they thought they would turn up sort it and reap the laurels...... but it didnt happen.......

and in that time old sporting phrase, "your'e only as good as your last win!"

19. Why dident it happen? They tried and Rossi never gave up.

20. you sure about that.........in 2007 put a hungry young kid on it with the drive to push sometimes beyond the limit..........and

Do Not Sell My Personal Information