1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sc1 V Sc2 Diablos Choice On Front And Rear And Why?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by CodexMotorsport, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on tyres, currently have a sc1 on the front and sc2 on the rear.

The bike came with this choice, ill be doing a mixture of track and road riding.

Whats the optimal psi for both scenarios, also what other choices options would you run?

Cheers Ben

#1 CodexMotorsport, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. On 1098, 749 and 916 I have run the same pressures as follows:
    32F/34R Road
    29ishF /28ishR track

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ont 1098R with F-SC1 R-SC2 think I ran 30/ 28 or slightly higher. Will probably run similar on the 899 too.

I use the same tyres on the road 2.2 bar (think that equates to roughly 32 ) in each.

S2R has a pair of Michelin PR4's. Just remember that when the tyres get hotter, they increase in pressure, but guessing that you know this already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Road F32/R35
    Track F31/R27 bot HOT off warmers, if not warmers same front 29 rear cold

• Agree Agree x 1

5. Cheers Sam, what track days are you at?

6. I'm with @bradders and run the rear at a lower pressure than the front for the track (Metzeler Racetech RRs) although we seem to be in a minority. I use the tyre manufacturer's recommended pressures for the road (Metzeler M7RRs). Andy

7. No one I've ever heard of would run higher pressure on the rear than the front on track, it would just boil up the rubber and wreck it.

I run 33 front and 26 on the rear on track and 32/~30-32 on the road.

I've been running SC2 front and rear on the Panigale for a while just because they last a little longer than the very sticky SC1, especially in Spain where the tracks are usually much grippier. I intend to move to Dunlops or Bridgestones on all the bikes though because whilst Pirellis are great to start with, they drop off in performance really badly after less than a days hard use. Top tip for anyone using scrubs on track; don't use Pirellis for this reason! Dunlops perform the same right until they are completely worn out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PM'd you Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 26 rear (down to 24 depending on how much they increase/temp) and 28 front for track days, don't use em on the road as they're not designed for that use even if they are legal.

10. Is that a typo @Air Duck ? 28 is very soft for the front??

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I was told by the guy that does tyres for BSB to set the rears to 24-26 and the front 28-29 for SCs. I too thought it was very low but he said the extra contact patch size is considered worth the slightly extra weight/resistance in turning it plus it builds and retains heat better. He was shooting for hot temps in the range 27-29 rear and 31-32 front iirc.

12. Ah ok, thats about right hot for the average punter. Racers often little lower on the rear and higher on the front but it's ballpark. I never check based on cold temps as you can end up way off once they are hot.

13. @royalwithcream I dunno but was advised to always check and set cold temps, and then check/adjust hot temps after the first bunch of laps or first session to know what's what regards how ambient and track surface temps are affecting pressure to try and avoid tears early on.

14. Yes all makes sense mate, sorry didn't mean to confuse things. I just mentioned as it looked like you were setting that when hot to start with. I'll wind my neck back in :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. its wasn't Steph was it...if so I'd ignore tbh, 20 yrs experience, no idea whatsoever

16. I know of no one who sets cold temps. Its always hot off the warmers after an hour or so, then come in end of session and check again immediately. And do it every session, not just the first, as sometimes it can be 12deg at 1000 and 23deg at 1400 :)

If running sticky rubber and non-novice group IMO :)

17. Yes I'd much rather you/anyone points things out when they think something is wrong :upyeah:

Sorry I don't know who Steph is... :eek:

18. You don't want to ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I guess those race truck tyre guys must be wrong then? What can I tell you other than the method I was told has largely saved me tearing tyres on the first session out?

I've a mate (national champ winner a few times and 2nd in the Manx TT) that also doesn't know anyone that uses the rear brake - but I'm trying to incorporate it into my riding, he laughs, it's fine.

20. Not saying that, just that after 10 years of being trackside other than Steph I have never heard someone say you should set cold if setting hot is an option :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information