1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorched Carbon On The Termi

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Dave821SP, Jan 26, 2017.

1. washed the bike a month ago and acf50-ed it.. immediately after the wash it wouldn't start, thought nothing of it but continued to try every other day hoping it would dry out. Started eventually, but seemed to be running really rich, strong petrol smell and would cut out if i touch the throttle and then wouldnt restart...

anyways, started it today, thought i would take it out for a quick blast,20 miles(ish) charge the battery, blow the cobwebs out of it. When i got back i noticed the carbon heat shield was scorched (pic)?!

Its bloody cold out today, 0'C, and the bike never really got above 63'C despite a good thrashing.

What do you think, running rich, lean? other?

[​IMG]

2. Potentially flooded it from it not starting? unburnt fuel blasted out?

3. aye, that might be a possibility, thanks...seemed to run alright, wasn't popping and banging

i left it ticking over before i went out, get it up to temp, didn't notice if it scorched before or after the run

4. Could have also been unburnt fuel in the can that got hot and caused the issue, if it was still over feeling it would have been bogging out on your ride

• Like Like x 1
  5. But burning any fuel off in the can would be instant, would that generate enough heat to cause this damage?

Is that part of the heat shield close to the can underneath? Has the silver headshield underneath the carbon perished? Could this be from a lean running engine?

6. When I fitted a similar exhaust to my Hyper the heat shield was actually touching the exhaust, had to make some spacers to raise the carbon shield and leave an air gap.
    Poor quality for a £1,000 exhaust...
    Worth checking if yours is hard against the exhaust pipe. If a dealer fitted the exhaust you should be able to make a warranty claim, if not a replacement shield is about £120 :-(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information