1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi Active Ohlins suspension

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Tripletrouble, Apr 23, 2013.

1. UPDATE

I asked this question on Sunday via email and got the response at lunchtime today.

Ducati Multistrada 2010 MTS1200S ABS Rear Suspension Ohlins

I’ve now got an issue with the rear suspension unit.
    Upon start up this morning I got an error showing on the dash.

“ERRORS
    DES
    REAR
    REBOUND”

I’ve checked the connections and these are fine.
    If I reverse the connections with the compression wire the error moves to “Rear Compression”.
    I’ve tried the original and the new Ohlins ECU, both with the same results.
    This leads me to believe that the fault lies within the damping unit on the rear suspension.
    Have you seen this fault before and if so are you able to repair it?

RESPONSE

It sounds like the stepper motor for the rear rebound adjuster is faulty. The stepper is integrated in an assembly and can't be replaced separately.
    The complete assembly would need to be replaced.

I do not have a part number or price for the stepper motor assembly at the moment but I will try and find this out for you.

MY THOUGHTS
    Given my background and the fact I've a new Ohlins shock I may try to take the stepper module apart.
    Special tools are required, however they are similar to those I have.
    Expect the truth behind what actually failed with this stepper motor shortly.

Please just be a wheel fallen off :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pics too....

also consider the possibility of offering this as a service for us 2010 / scu adopters...

3. I don't think it's an expensive mistake when the vast majority of the bikes with electric suspensions are working fine .

4. I laid out the new TTX shock on a blanket and connected the three electrical connections, cycled the power and it works a treat.
    No errors and adjusting each setting in turn causes a whirr.
    Since you need a special tool (very long allen key) to remove the bottom of the rear shock I've got to buy one. In the meantime I going to fit the new 100Nm spring.
    As soon as I get my hands on the bad boy Shock that actuator is coming apart.
    Expect a full photo expose next week.:cool:

#104 AirCon, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014

5. I think he meant if my worst fears come true and I'm not just unlucky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What size and how long does the allen key need to be?

7. Come on seriously? It seems to be one of the most commonly reported faults I have seen on the Multistrada, I totally get how it can offer a massive advantage especially if riding 2 up a lot and especially in the Semi Active guise, however to me it seems that it's too early to be reliable.

The Ohlins system really does not fill me with confidence, I will watch and see how the Sachs offering get's on with regards to reliabilty before I even consider adopting E-Suspension, at the minute I am content with the mechanical stuff.

8. Your right , the less then 100 reported electric suspension problems of the 30000 sold bikes means its a huge problem , my mistake .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alright, you can put your dummy back in if you like.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I've purchased a bergman long Allen / hex head socket set, so ready as soon as Ftr get their fingers out and return my new TTX shock with uprated springs. Then the bad boy is back to them for a repair.
    Did get the comment today that Ohlins had responded, but he couldn't remember or find the email.
    So, still don't know what a servo costs. Labour will be 80-90 + vat.

11. Ok had a few conversations with Kevin at FTR today.
    My "new" shock with the upgraded spring is winging it's way back to me for fitment.

I've been told that if the bike was under warranty then Ducati would pay for the servo...not sure thats true given the upgraded SCU.
    Since my bikes not under warranty I've got to pay £234.44+VAT for the new part (rebound servo).
    This is not a DIY job as the Oxygen free Nitrogen (currently under 150psi) needs to be removed under controlled conditions (not my office or I'll need another keyboard).
    I've asked Ohlins to meet me 1/2 way on the cost given my early adoption of the uprated SCU...watch this space.

So to summerise
    If you get a "Rebound or Compression" error on your rear shock you are looking at £350+VAT for the repair.

Now do I get them to replace both the servos?

As a balance to my issues, FTR assure me that I am all alone with my woes and that 46 other customers remain happy and error free.

#112 AirCon, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'm sure all 46 are grateful to you for volunteering to be their guinea pig.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brilliant News
    Ohlins have agreed to replace the faulty rebound servo under "warranty" as a sign of good will.
    They have also said that they'll replace the Mechatronic SCU, but this makes no sense to me.
    Hopefully this is just something lost in the translation and not an inknown issue with the SCU.
    Given how much I've recently spent on Ohlins parts I glad they agreed this, however my concern in now the fully functioning Compression servo. Is it a one off event that caused the rebound servo to fail or is it wear. In which case the compression servo can't be far behind.

Really looking forward to Mr. Postman this morning with my new shock.

14. I've just come across this thread for the first time having had also received the error message this morning:

"ERRORS
    DES
    REAR
    COMPRESS"

I checked the connectors, but no issue there either. Then tried the original SCU and the error message has stopped appearing - although I haven't taken the bike on the road yet.

I emailed the supplier of the SCU telling them that the fault seems to lie in the SCU, and am therefore asking them for a solution.

However, it seems for your experience that the case is now not as simple as I assumed.

Now that you've been through this scenario, how would you have advised to go about this originally? My bike has been out of warranty for 6 months now. SCU was purchased in December 2013.

15. So can I try and get a handle on this as I'm unsure. Does the mechatronic unit (that everyone tells you transforms the bike for the better) eventually break due to the gearing not being able to stand so much on the fly adjustment? Is it better to steer clear or have only a couple gone?

16. The ohlins mechatronic ECU is one of the best upgrades you can do on the early bike, super smooth, better than my skyhook and I've had both bikes. I have only heard of one failure of the shocks and the was ACT on here if I'm right, he'll be along in a minute to confirm.

Not sure if his problem was proved to be the ohlins ECU.

17. I've been running with the Ohlins ecu for 2+ years now with no problems whatsoever, and it defernitly rides better than my pals skyhook, not just me saying so...even he agrees. Much more compliant imho

18. Boomer, since I am changing bikes shortly my lightly used (2k miles) unit will be available. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information