1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi Active Ohlins suspension

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Tripletrouble, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Paul, it's not Boomer that's after one!

2. Thank you for pointing out my error RR, I clearly shouldn't respond to posts via my phone :Arghh: :Banghead: :Bag:

Edit - whoever wants a lightly used Ohlins ECU upgrade, feel free to PM me ! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep, got to agree - it's a cracking upgrade and probably one of the 'must haves' I mentioned in the the other thread ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I agree, I,ve got a 2014 skyhook and its a POS compared to my old Ohlins model with an SCU fitted

• Like Like x 1
  5. Done then. Hoping I don't have to upgrade the rear spring though as I am currently down to 14 stone and dropping (wedding coming up). The missus isn't exactly big either so hoping the stock spring is up to the job.

6. Pm me. Something isn't right.
    I love the ohlins and the ECU mechatronic upgrade (check the history on here...first in the UK), but the skyhook is good, even better (unless you are on the track). 98% of riders will get on better with skyhook, just get the preloaded right, especially the front.
    This (front) perload issue pertains to both ohlins and skyhook...on need a spanner to adjust.

7. I've fitted an upgraded spring from TW suspension which has made a big difference but I,m somewhat heavier than you :(. Still much prefer the Ohlins model

8. Ah..I remember now, you also do a lot of two up riding.

9. No carbs Franksie. Meat, veg & eggs only. Not exactly a hard diet but it's dropping off. Wedding suit will be too big soon. Not sure the birthday suit will work as an alternative. I will be doing a 70/30 mix of single/2-up so standard spring & SCU should be perfect.

10. ACT I would like to adjust the front pre-load but am not sure whether it is set with too much or too little as I understand that the damping firms up to compensate for too little. I have skyhook and there is not much sag when I climb aboard (ignition on of course) so tend to think I need less pre-load. However I think I read on here, perhaps from a post by you, that they leave the factory set to near minimum? Did you set a sag figure or just trial and error? And which direction of turn of the nut is for firmer please?

It is difficult to get much 'bounce' from the front too - as if over damped - even after setting it to medium soft. That might be another skyhook peculiarity though.

Do you have any settings I could try as a starting point? I am 14st incidentally.

Thanks

11. I've done 2 year's touring and over 25,000 miles since fitting my Ohlins active ECU, It has functioned flawlessly giving fabulous comfort and outstanding handling in some demanding trips and many types of road and trail surface.

Best value upgrade you can get.

12. I'll keep a lookout for one then, or just straight up order one next month on the sly.

13. You could always give @pilotpaul a shout if you're looking to get sorted......finances have a habit of going pete tong on the run up to the big day (and definitely thereafter!).

14. DES PRE LOAD ERROR
    Hi guys
    I had the DES preload error come up on my 2010 bike and had it cleared and no faults found by the dealer. Conclusion was that my changing modes on the move was probably confusing for the the suspension recalibration so now I change at stand still. However the error is back!? I have physically checked and the shock preload is being changed correctly with the different modes. I can clear it with a battery disconnect/reset but it's back again as soon as I change modes. Would it be safe to assume that it is the SCU at fault? And what's the latest verdict on the Semi-active up-grade reliability?
    Cheers
    Lumpy

15. Could be a shock / pre load adjuster fault also .

Better get some more in depth code testing / active tests done before you condem one part or the other ..... will be wasted money to get the active Scu and the bike has another fault

16. Arrrr sorry .... you did get it code tested ..... strange ... would of thought it would of stored a code ??

17. I had a very similar issue after the battery was disconnected. DES preload error popped up, had it cleared but came back trying to change between modes on the fly. As I had a spare rear shock, took the bike back to get it changed over. Mechanic said he could hear the pre load changing so didn't swap the units. After I made sure the pre load was the same in every mode setting, I only ride solo but being a fat bastard I have 1 click back from max, the problem has not reoccurred so far. Had mine nearly 3 years and apart from this one glitch, it's been faultless. Andy

18. Really?
    @cabrand .....why the drama queen?

19. Same thing has happened to me twice. Got nukes from people who have never contributed to the thread and months after my posting. I choose to ingnore the fuckwits otherwise it escalates into a tit for tat argument like Exige and Chizel. Andy

#139 Android853sp, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. On mobile devices it can be quite easy to do those things whilst scrolling. I'm following users I don't even know because tapatalk placed the button in an awkward place [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information